AuthorTopic: Swords  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Highlander

• There can be only One
    • View Profile

Swords

on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:51 pm
Here are some swords I made/

I'm trying to get better at making swords. I'll post more as I get better .

These all suck pretty bad, but They are the first 3 swords I've done. so hopefully my plan would be improve on the level of quality a great deal

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: Swords

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:33:20 pm
The biggest problem you have at the moment is an undefined light source.
Particularly the golden sword with red gems, your hilt has light from one direction and the blade another.
You are also using a lot of banding in which you have long series of single color lines running beside each other.  The eye is good at picking up patterns so it's good to try to avoid patterns in your art like this because it will pull the observer away from the image you are trying to show and more towards the details within.
The banding is particularly evident in the grip of the blue cross guarded sword.
You could also probably remove a lot of colors by simply picking 3-4 of each color instead of such a wide array.

Nothing wrong with using colors, but it helps you learn to use clusters and shapes instead of lines by limiting the number of colors you have and it prevents your work from getting too noisy.

Never played with swords really, but I took a stab (  ::) ) at an edit and tried to show a few of my points real quick.
Hope it helps you some.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232