AuthorTopic: Tremulant Inspired Pixel  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Tremulant Inspired Pixel

on: June 16, 2006, 05:27:28 am
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1382.0

Looking at Tremulants wonderful "Future Fantasy" work i was inspired to come up with one of my own,

update;
(its a human wizard with a robotic familiar)

Progression can be seen here,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Dead_Tree/wizwip.png

I tried to keep Trems style in the picture, hope i succeeded  ;D.

whatdoyathink?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:38:31 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Re: Tremulant Inspired Pixel

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:03:34 pm
In keeping with Tremulant's style, the dither on the hat should be a bit less obvious.

I haven't got time for more crit than that -- suffice it to say it makes me smile =))

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:03 pm
There are 6 bulges in his arm, are you sure hes human? I think anatomical study is in order.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 04:05:10 pm
Very cool, Fox! I really like the 'old-but-tough' look he's got going, and that familliar is a great touch. Would make a cool mini-boss/enemy perhaps, if I ever game this shiznit. Any crits that I can think of have already been brought up (the dithering on the hat, the arm's anatomy). Great job making humans more interesting, too, 'cause if I'd done a human, he'd have just ended up being an army guy :P.

Once again, totally flattered that I was an inspiration. ;D

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 06:52:19 pm
It might look more interesting if his beard was the yellow-gray instead of the blue.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:49:04 am
Thanks for the comments all!

Did a minor edit.

CrumbBread, please elaborate what you mean about the shading on the hat, i really don't know what to change about it. though i still tried.

Godslayer, Agh, Arm fixed. dint know what happened there...

Tremulant, Cheers Mate :) if you ever do start making the game id be happy to help with it (not that you really need any help :P)

Big Brother, I was trying to give the wizard a kind of cold look about him. using only the yellow for contrast in his weapon. a yellow Grey beard would ruin the effect I'm trying to get.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 01:41:50 pm
Now, his legs are smaller than his arms, not good.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:25:16 pm
Tremulant's pics have small legs too, so it only makes sense, and it works rather well =)

About the hat -- study how Tremulant does cloth (elf's cloak, for example) -- there's not a lot of dithering going on there. You did it well on the rest of the cloth, but the hat is differently textured and looks out of place.

(Sorry, that's all the elaboration I can come up with, this picture far exceeds my own abilities ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 04:46:46 pm
trem's pieces have skinny little legs, but these legs here are too short. terms also are more dynamically posed.  other than that, looks good, no real crits that havent been said already
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:30:32 pm
I understand the reason you used the blue gray for his beard. Right now at 100%, it looks like a big gray blue shape with a small eye mask of skin tone on it. The blue all melds together, especially since you use the same dark shades for the beard/robe border on the robe's wrinkles. Breaking up the large, single ramp region will create more visual interest than it has now. The gun just isn't enough, since as humans, we put a priority on the recognizability of a face. This appears to be a game sprite, so the readability is more important than a design.

For example, say I drew a lumberjack sprite for a game, and I pixelled a plaid shirt on him. Now the shirt helps the player understand the character, but the plaid itself might look too detailed and confusing at that scale. In this case, it would be necessary to abandon that design, choosing a simplified alternative. The plaid could be added in the portrait or close-up cutscene picture along with other details. Does this help clarify?