AuthorTopic: Mastermind - WIP  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Mastermind - WIP

on: October 09, 2006, 07:11:42 am
Major WIP as it is.

Pen Drawing - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41041085/
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Mastermind - WIP

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:32:45 am
Update:

You guys got no CC?

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:07:24 am
Well, I think the biggest problem is that it's not very interesting to look at. Here's a really quick edit I did to show you what I might do to add a bit more interest.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:26:51 am
Wow... Your's is totally awesome :huh:.
I love the structure of the skull and everything.

How am I gonna beat that... Hmm...

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:31:45 am
Just had a thought for you, try looking at some dinosaur skulls, they might have some interesting bone structures you could emulate. Mine is just kind of some random lines I slapped down and fleshed out, my main intent in the edit was to add some interest to those flat planes on the sides of the head. Also to put some definition in the connection between the head and the body, which was rather odd-looking. You could give his skin some texture too, like a scaly, cracked, or a slimy look or something,

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:00:11 am
i agree with pawige

the forms need to be better defined. right now things just flow into each other and u arnt able to tell differences between sections, or sometimes even what they are.
try to define more areas of the face and body instead of just what the outline shows. the outline is the simplest line in the entire piece.. The lines inside are what make the figure unique and interesting. Right now there is nothing, but a bit of lightsource shown.
I agree with pawige about looking at different skulls to find interesting forms you can use, or search aliens or something. But try to find an idea for a reference and then use that for inspiration.

it also needs better texturing
to me it feels like it deserves a hard - bone like texture. OR perhaps a cracked rough scale look would suit it aswell.
in order to do that though, you need to pick slightly more contrasted colours, such as pawige did and then after your lightsource (where shadows and highlights are) is established, then i suggest you work on texturing.
Remember though - texturing can be thought of almost like a gradient aswell.
the lightest and darkest shades have no texture - everything melds together into that solid colour
the next shades (second lightest and second darkest) have alittle bit of texturing starting to develop
after that, all the shades in between - your midtones - are what carry your texture. By using this method it helps to enhance form aswell, because then the shadows and highlights really stand out.
by using this method i think it would help when using a hard bony texture because then it would help to make a harder, defined look, opposed to if everything had a bit of detail it would look more soft and melding together

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:21:51 am
I was actually trying to get that look with the shadows, Flaber.

Anyway, Still far from perfect, but I'm wondering how this'n one looks (Particularly on the eye bone structure thing):

Only thing I see technically wrong with it is the AA on the upper shadow, which I will fix shortly.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:05 am
Not to dissapoint you, but most of the AA on that piece doesn't work at all, it just adds blurriness and noise.

I think your piece still lacks "the punch", hence making it a tad boring. Look at pawige's edit, and see how he added lighter and darker colors from different hues. Try experimenting with contrast and light sources, and less monotonous palettes.
And I suppose, if you are adding bone structures around one eye, you could do so too with the other one aswell (the smaller eye).
The mouth/snout area looks flatter compared to the rest so you migh aswell want to check that.

For your next piece you could experiment, and try to sketch the skull/skeleton on paper (or a digital canvas if you will), and then pixel a creature whose it could belong to, taking care of volume etc. Could be rather fun.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:43:35 am by Panda »

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:48:21 am
true i see you are understanding that in your deepest shades (darkest and lightest) that there is no texture
however.. i do not see much of a texture at that.
i wasnt saying that was HOW to make the texture, i was suggesting that as an effective idea once the texture was established.
the shading/dithering gives it too much of a soft look than it needs. lessen the transition between colours - and at points make it just so the colours meet - no transition at all.
Then for texturing you can run your lines through how you want for the cracked scalley look - and allow the dithering to accentuate the feel to it

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:03:09 am
:-\ Newest.
Tried to address the comments on the color. Somehow drastic Hue changes bug me, though,.