AuthorTopic: Alien  (Read 15265 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: Alien

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 03:20:12 pm
more anatomy issues fixed, the original 'final' version is on the left, the newest on the right. I decided to forgo the alien physiology on the forearm and went with a more conventional look so it better matched the other side.

As far as lighting goes if I am hoping to put them into a game I can really only go for top down light. Your edit seems a bit extreme but I think I get your point, and it is probably a problem mostly with this character.
... BTW something is going funny with the colours, he is actually only 8 but when i upload him it's splattering him with pixels for some reason :(

I might look at changing aspects of his design such as his feet, but I may leave them as is.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 06:28:17 pm
the new guy was just some design ideas i was thinking of, unless i greatly improve him he isn't going in the game. I like his face and pincer however. Thats a tongue hanging out of his mouth and if i animate it, it will wriggle and such. Do the purple guys legs look right, i gave the thighs more length. Maybe they looked better before?!?!

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 06:33:37 pm
I can't see the difference on the jelly bean giant, as for the new guy....  :blind: i only like his head the rest is kinda funky

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 07:59:36 pm
all of these sprites just have random highlights all over, im guessing just for the sake of having something there.

There nice colors there's just no proper form to your bizarre shading.  There was a good lightsource edit a few post up - i suggest looking at that more closely.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 08:01:37 pm
if hes putting them in a game (which im pretty sure he said he is) then he wont need shading. in most games that are platformer horror (castlevania) there isnt any shading from a light source. i like them just how they are!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 08:18:58 pm
if hes putting them in a game (which im pretty sure he said he is) then he wont need shading. in most games that are platformer horror (castlevania) there isnt any shading from a light source.
That is so not true. They are lit from the top.

And I agree with Feron, there are some pretty random hilights.

Also, the dithering, along with the random hilights, is making everything look very messy.

I like 1, 2, and 4. The rest are kinda meh. 1 and 2 are the only ones with clear lightsources.

The big dude's left (ours) leg looks kinda too twisted, especially with his feet facing virtually opposite directions. I think that leg should be more facing the viewer.

The new one, no offense, is pretty dumb looking. I like the head and the arm, but that thin sticklike torso and those legs are, as chigsam said, :blind:.

I think you really need to simplify these dude. They're just too small to have all the detail you're trying to pack in there be clearly visible. This is especally eviedent in 2's chest, what with the horizontal lines and all.

3 looks ridiculous unbalanced.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 09:46:30 pm
Code: [Select]
There was a good lightsource edit a few post upI did point out I agreed but thought it was a bit to over the top, I am taking it into account but have been working out the anatomy problems of the big dude first.
That is so not true. They are lit from the top.I personally thought I nailed that with the first one, so I am trying to bring that sort of look to them all in this edit:

Ok, without to much change I incorporated some more adequate self dropped shadows. Thus removing a number of random highlights, I think 1,2 and 4 are pretty spot on now.

The big dudes foot on our left is meant to be on a slight angle so i tried to better present this. Also I haven't quite finished applying the shading mentioned above on him.

The new one was retarded in regards to everything technical (weight distribution, etc.) I just wanted to experiment a bit and show some design ideas. and here are some more:

I will likely keep experimenting till i get one i actually use. I'm liking the quadruped movement idea though.

As far as simplification goes, I was going for look with excessive detail and am happy with the results. 2's chest may get a revamp however as I might make the lines a little less obvious.

more shading done for the Jellybean, colour change for Brute and small edit on Horus:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:38:11 pm by zeid »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 02:38:25 pm
Shading done. Also the possible new character though I may not make him playable if I include him. Depending on responses to him will depend on how motivated I am to continue his animations etc.

some colour changes to better tie them together, and give some more contrast.

@Xion:
3 looks ridiculous unbalanced.could you explain this, perhaps with an edit because to me he looks fine :huh:.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:31:09 pm by zeid »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 10:59:39 pm
I'm working on some tiles right now so I can get everything to look themed. It's not really as I would like, It seems to light. So far I've just done some rock tiles that border the path of where characters walk. The path itself is not textured yet and I might get rid of the ramp as I might not include them in the game.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2007, 03:42:30 pm

Alien walk animation, still WIP but gives a good impression of how it is progressing.  Technically the project is at a halt until further notice but I thought I might as well get as much feed back as I can for now.