AuthorTopic: Portrait of a woman  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Portrait of a woman

on: May 19, 2008, 11:50:50 pm

reference: http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/020136eye/eye-ch14-4.jpg

I can not even remember what year I last pixeled. My tablet has broken, using a mouse is a pain. I forget everything. Help me. I started trying out arnes pallete, but I dont care if I stray.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait of a woman

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:15:55 am
her left eye (our right) is really pulling her face apart.
otherwise, looks good so far.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:00:50 am
Eyes are different width, lightsource is kind of iffy. Nice use of colors though. Also, neck is too big.
The expression is different, too, not sure if you want it to be. In the reference she's got a slight smile and her eyes are slightly, but noticeably open.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:11 am
Good points, updated.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:26 am
I don't think the dithering on the eyes really works. Neither does the red AA on the left.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:24:04 pm
Well at least she's hotter in this picture, than in the reference. :noob:

Not only is your comment not critique, I also disagree with it.

-

* Don't do life studies in a smaller canvas than what you need to show the correct volumes of the object you're shading.
* Fun colors come second, proper volume comes first
* Your eyeballing needs a lot more work. Let me rephrase: my eyeballing needs lots more work, so imagine how much work your eyeballing needs.
* Very nice choice of reference
* There is an emotion in the reference. How would you describe it, and is it the same as the emotion in your version? I know I didn't manage to fully replicate it, how did you do? On which parts of the face does this emotion lie? Let us find it and properly address it.
* Block shapes as if you were doing a low-poly model. No pixel tech until this step is done.
* Hope to see more work by you soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:28:50 pm by Helm »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:46:37 am
EvilVille: I agree.

Helm: Your critiques are better than I remembered. You're very right in all your points, I expanded the canvas (good move so far), and stopped messing with colors and tech (Forgot how to develope a piece, thanks for the reminder). My eyeballing is poor, using this mouse dosnt help. I redid my format so I have the reference and piece side by side, and that should improve it as well.

I cant wait to hear any other advice, I hardly remembered how therepeutic this community is. I feel so lonely and spent with traditional mediums sometimes.

Offline Pesty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 03:10:26 am
Hello! I have done an edit for you.

Okay, I haven't changed a whole lot. My main focus were the lips. It seems to me that in the photo, her lips are parted just very slightly, which adds a lot to the sensuality of her expression. I don't know if I was very successful with it, but you can see where I was going and maybe work off of the idea.

I also tried to make her eyes look slightly open, rather than completely closed. With the angle her face is, it is a difficult expression to do without making them look just closed. What I find works best is hinting at her eyes as subtlely as possible through her lashes. Again, I'm not sure I was successful, but there it is. The only other thing I changed was her left (our right) eyebrow. In the photo, the shadow is rather harsh in that part of her eye, but in the pixel art, trying to convey that shadow made her eyebrow look too harsh, so I reshaped it a little to make it more like her's without concerning myself as much with the shadowing.

These are just some suggestions that I think will help get you closer to the expression your reference photo has. I hope they help!

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:58:15 am
Thanks for the advice, Pesty.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:02:25 am
now that's so much better!
biggest problems that I can see would be the highlight under her chin...it's just a single line, kind of slices her neck.
her jaw on the right side (our right) is sharp, smooth it out as the left is.
the shadow along her face down to her chin gets weird.  then he shadow under her chin seems too high, as though it's overlapping her chin, which even if it was, you can't tell where her chin stops.
personally, I'd make her chin readable instead of trying to get the shading the same as the reference.

oh, and you're missing a smirk.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00:05 am
Moving to subtler issues. Smile still seem off, Joseph?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 03:11:46 am
This is making some awesome progress. For the interests of SCIENCE ONLY, the following overlay. This is useful to see where you eyeballed wrong, but don't cheap out and just overlay-rework, okay? Keep eyeballing by approximation!

The eyes are pretty good, the mouth is rotated a bit, the nose quite far off, facial construction is pretty good, but she's missing the pointed, lower chin.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 03:31:47 pm
Thats really useful Helm, thanks.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 03:43:53 pm
right now the lower part of the mouth, with the highlight on the lip and the shadow under it seems to suggest a crooked mouth.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 05:53:39 pm
Right on.

Also, heres my avatar at 1x