AuthorTopic: [WIP] Action RPG Sprite  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

[WIP] Action RPG Sprite

on: March 20, 2007, 04:44:14 pm

I'm having a lot of difficulty with this guy for a battle stance.  His legs in particular, I originally wanted to give him kind of a weight shifting bounce, something like what a boxer might have... On the other hand, I don't want it to be overly exaggerated and distracting either.  I was considering removing leg movement altogether considering it seemed to work rather well for a lot of the sprites in Breath of Fire 2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Fry     

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Action RPG Sprite

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:00:09 pm
I think it might help if you anchor his toes in one place; I think fighters tend to move and start and push and turn on the balls of their feet; if you lock those in place the movement may seem a little more natural.  If you're looking for a way to unify the leg movement with the body, maybe move his hips a little - even a pixel or two, with the legs following (but pinned at the toes still); that should yield a relatively pleasant and organic result.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:04:32 pm
Thanks a lot AdamAtomic, i'll give that a try and post results shortly.  The sliding feet I currently have definately does not look pleasant or natural, so i'm sure it'll be a major improvement.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:45:17 pm
I think he swivels a bit to much for small move like that. Try to use subpixel more within figure. Which, perhaps, might be a disaster with these contrast hues as well.=)

Figure is also out of balance. And his right shoe longer than left one considering half turn.

Quick edit:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:21:09 pm by Fool »

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:18:55 pm
Wow, thanks Fool.  That's more of what I had in mind for a fighting stance.  It looks more natural as something that's still fairly subtle.  And thanks for pointing out the feet, I knew something didn't look right with the lower body in general.

I did a quick edit, which turned out a bit bouncier than before...

but it's still way to much.  I made this before seeing yours.. so now i'm going to revamp it again in a style closer to your edit.

Thanks,

-Fry

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:22:35 pm
You should try and get the balls of his feet boucning. Rather than make him sort of contract, have his body bounce up and down to the left and right, with his toes locked in place. But this may be a bit too drastic...

I think his hip movement from left to right is a bit weird. I think his cape exaggerates it; reduce the movement on that.

Also, his right arm is moving a bit awkardly. I think if you made it about 2 times slower, (the arm seperately or the whole animation) it would look more natural. (Maybe make his hand move in a circle, too.)

Another thing, I think rather than contracting his knees quickly, he should fluidly bend and extend them, with equal frames for both.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:51 pm
Hey, I think the hair strands in the character is a bit chaotic, perhaps this edit might give you an idea  :)

Oh yeah..ignore the one without the mouth <was curious to see how it looks like when it's removed.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:24:33 pm
Thanks for the edit, the hair definately looks a lot cleaner... and it seems that this sprite has Illusion of Gaia disorder, haha.. it seems the nose reads as a very high mouth, which is what I was afraid of and I will likely need to revamp.