AuthorTopic: [WIP] Constantine  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

[WIP] Constantine

on: March 16, 2007, 09:35:49 pm
This is my entry for the Idea's of March Pixeljoint contest.  Do you think it has the emperor Constantine's likeness?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:29:23 pm by Fizz »

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Constantine

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:05:49 pm
well, the only thing that catch my eye immediately is that the mouth is too low which makes the nose too long. The underlip should be on the same height were the jaw lines connect to the neck, and the nostrils should be a bit higher then the ear lobe.
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:07:51 pm
Which portrait are you basing this off of and what is the background going to be since there's a 3 color restriction.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 01:07:50 am
http://www.usask.ca/antiquities/Collection/Constantine_1.JPG

That's my refrence.  I believe you can have transparency since Ensellitis did that with his entry.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:11:33 am by Fizz »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:23:49 am
the colors for t he challenge are default mspaint black yellow and red. apart from that this is nice

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 01:45:39 am
No no no, Kren, they can be any shade of black yellow and red.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 01:59:20 am
if i were you, i might use a slightly darker shade of red, so that the AA would work better,  as of now, they both contrast with the black to much. 
also, why did you use the red to AA one side of his forhead, and not the other?

despite my few crits, i really like the way you did this piece in general.  the soft, desaturated colors just seem to work, and the eyes and nose look really good for such a limited palette.
untz untz untz?

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 03:56:47 am
Update:

I shifted the mouth up a pixel, and extended the ear.

The other side of the forehead wasn't AA-ed because I forgot about it and started working on other areas of the piece.  :P

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 10:28:52 pm

Done?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:20:51 am
The peice could do with more likeness, I don't think you are quite done. Also, it could do with more shading in my opinion. Your peice has a squarish head, where as the reference has a more oval head, THe mouth on your peice is to wide, and in the refernece, his mouth ends about where his eyes start on each side of his nose. Your peice has this as well, but you should move your eyes 2 maybe 3 pixles towards the nose to make the mouth less wide. Anyways, keep working on it :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 02:29:31 am
I'm going to have to disagree with you. It would look wrong if the eyes were closer because they are of some distance in the bust.  But I will shorten the mouth.  Where does it need more shading?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:00:42 am by Fizz »

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 08:00:35 am
The peice could do with more likeness, I don't think you are quite done. Also, it could do with more shading in my opinion. Your peice has a squarish head, where as the reference has a more oval head, THe mouth on your peice is to wide, and in the refernece, his mouth ends about where his eyes start on each side of his nose. Your peice has this as well, but you should move your eyes 2 maybe 3 pixles towards the nose to make the mouth less wide. Anyways, keep working on it :)

The mouth should be as wide as the chin I believe. The face looks mirrored now, maybe if you bring in a different light source you can make the shading more interesting or dramatic. Play a bit with it :y:

Edit:

Where do you see that the mouth ends where the eyes start?

And I've to agree you can make it look more like in the statue, study the reference, highlight his facial features so you can base your version on that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:11:43 am by Gunne »
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 12:51:58 pm
  Where does it need more shading?

Well, I would say not to use a head on light source, with this limited pallete I think you get get a better outcome with more shading on one side or another, with a head on light source, you would really need one more highlight color, which I beleive you cannot have according to the rules, also, in the reference picture, the light source is from the left, not head on.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.