AuthorTopic: My first Pixels  (Read 2932 times)

Offline skillzalot

• View Profile

My first Pixels

on: October 14, 2008, 11:13:44 pm
I have just started to do pixel art so i started off by making 2 simple items a plank and a sword. Give me some comments and criticism as i'm trying to learn

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: My first Pixels

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:50:28 am
well thats a pretty nice start. maybe a bit too much colors on the sword. not that you should keep it toooo low, but at that size, its a waste, since your eyes cant really read all the colors, but rather the whole thing.

the plank may be a bit too uninteresting. maybe add a crack or something or maybe a nail on it.

again, nice start.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:58:22 pm
I wouldn't worry about the colors, it's fine as is. It only becomes a problem when you are trying to challenge yourself into doing high quality work with low quality colors. Since you're just starting, you shouldn't be concerned with that. One thing though, on the plank, there is no perspective so it looks flat. Just add another diagonal line on the left hand side and then connect it to the rest of it, and make it darker. I wish I could show you what I mean, but I hope you undersatnd. Basically you just see a bit of the side of the plank to show it's 3d.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:13:32 pm
I wouldn't worry about the colors, it's fine as is. It only becomes a problem when you are trying to challenge yourself into doing high quality work with low quality colors. Since you're just starting, you shouldn't be concerned with that.
I disagree completely. If he's starting out, now is the time to be concerned with that before he picks up bad habits. I'm not going to derail this thread about color-management, but Kazuya gives a very good point -- why have all these colors in such a small piece when your eyes can't tell one from the other? It's a waste, and when you're working with small pieces like this on a pixel level it's very important you know, and have complete control, of what's going on.