AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gaming blog background image  (Read 2247 times)

Offline whckmstrjck

• View Profile

[WIP] Gaming blog background image

on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:21 am
Hello, fine people! New guy here, in need of your vast expertise - and some day, hopefully, to provide some of my own! ;D :y:

If you're curious about some stuff I've done, I've got a little portfolio over at koreru.se. No real pixel art stuff there yet, though - that's why I'm here. I'm making this new, more summery, theme for a small swedish gaming blog a friend and I are running. The blog itself is nothing too serious really. Just a fun little project for us to play around with when we have the time. The old background was kind of a rush job (Can be viewed here), and I want to make a more well-worked one. This is more or less the first time I'm taking my time to really pixel stuff on this level, instead of just doodling away with jaggy brushes.

So, here's the new background. If you want to see it all scaled up, and used on the blog, you can head over to jvst.se. I came to a point where I felt it's good enough to publish it. Later I want to add lot's of actiony stuff, like robots, gunships, fighter jets and whatnot - but I want to polish the background as much as I can before I do that.

What I really want to improve, and what I've been struggling with:
 - The grass. I'm after sort of a short cut lawn. And maybe later put in some trees and flowers on it. But however I go about, it always ends up like tall grass, or a green mess, and the perspective gets weird. Too many/too few colours?
 - The beach. I can't seem to get the perspective right, and the transition to the water really bothers me.
 - The water. Looks like slow running paint, rather than clear low viscous water. I did not personally dither the water below the surface. I googled that, and think I might've even gotten it from here? Hope that's ok.

I'm sort of neutral about (but will of course gladly recieve tips on how to improve):
 - The sky/clouds. Boring? Dull? Too much dithering?
 - The striped hills and the mountains.

I'm content with (but will of course gladly recieve tips on how to improve):
 - The logo
 - Our avatars. They ended up in some sort of Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle style, which I feel happy with. Should I add highlights?

Thank you for your time! /wmj
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:03:48 am by whckmstrjck »