AuthorTopic: Customizable Sprite Bases!  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Customizable Sprite Bases!

on: October 08, 2010, 11:26:28 pm
So finally, ive decided to throw out what ive been kinda workin on today and yesterday.  ;D

I really hope you guys like these!

Tell me what you think, and suggest things! I'm willing to make more!
Also, the next thing on my to-do list is to do a set of running and jumping sprites.

First: Choose your skin tone.

Second: Select a hairstyle, and color it to your liking from the palettes here, or your own.

Third: Put some pants on!

Fourth: Select a shirt! If you want the v-neck variation, you may have to use another shirts colors. Sorry bout that!

Fifth: Slip some shoes on!

Last: Add anything else you feel like! unfortunately i havent made any of these yet, so go ahead and throw your own on! I added a watch and and some earbuds to my avatar:

Of course, theres always a little customization involved. These ARE base images, even thugh i took the liberty to add all this extra crap. In fact, im thinking about starting a whole new line of these things. Add jackets and possibly stuff like wings adn swords! :D

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Re: Customizable Sprite Bases!

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:51:57 pm
Id really appreciate it if somebody commented on this. Sorry for the double post, but id like a little C&C

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:25 pm
These make some nice sprites.  But with the amount of variations you could possibly have, it would be a lot easier to render a character with a piece of software.  I used to do stuff like this.  More with iso stuff rather than sprites, such as roads, trees and buildings. 
What are your ultimate plans for this?

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:36:01 am
I agree that the sprites look good.  Very ambitious project, and it really looks rather nice so far.

Minor suggestion: working with a medium shade background is generally a better choice than using white (or black).  Using white or black (or any extremely saturated color) as a background can throw off your perceptions.

I see minor anatomy problems (long torso/short leg, pelvis is short) but these will be covered up by the clothes and they are minor anyway (1 pixel or less).  This is good enough.

When you added AA, you added it to the outside of the figure, blending the dark outline with the white background.  This works fine ... until the character is placed on a different background.  For example the head in the image below.  Sprites with a transparent background generally only get AA on the inside.

I don't think the hair should have a dark outline all the way around it.  This contrasts too strongly with the lighter skin tones and makes it look like the figure is wearing a wig.  Maybe break up the outline on the edges that will be next to skin?

I think you could improve your base sprites by adjusting your colors.  Rather than fill with the lightest color of the four, fill with the second lightest color and then use the lightest color for highlights.  This will let you add form to the characters and make them pop a little more.  You'd have to carry this approach to the clothes as well.

Sample (I didn't get to the legs much):

Same figure, same colors, slightly different approach.  This does make the figures more difficult to animate, so ignore the suggestion if you plan on doing a lot of animations.

I'm certainly not an expert, but overall I think these are well done.

Tourist

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:25 pm
I just want to provide sprite bases with customizable clothes. And these are only my idle sprites. I also want to animate running, jumping, and anything else people might need. But that you guys so much, maybe working with a med. background would help me a heck of alot more. I appreciate your help, and i will use it! :D

But with the amount of variations you could possibly have, it would be a lot easier to render a character with a piece of software.

Can you recommend any software for me?