AuthorTopic: Fruit  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Fruit

on: August 12, 2007, 01:10:55 pm
Hey, first post lol

been a long time lurker, i was a member around when pixelation was pixelation.swoo.net, that rather purple forum...

so anyway, here's some fruit; a pear and two cherries lol

reference for the pear was - http://bluegirlredstate.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pear.jpg
and reference for the cherries were - http://www.faeriesfinest.com/images/products/cherries.gif

C&C plx!

thanks, Mim

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Fruit

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:32:11 pm
I'll offer a few points, they look a bit 'flat' and bland as is. Try giving them some additional contrast and vary the hue the lighter each shade in the respective sprite gets. Like with the pear, in the original painting, you see it goes from a deep, cold blue-ish color to a light and warm yellow like color. Also, you ought to make the lower part seem more squashed down. As per the cherries, you ought to make the shadows almost black-like, shifting up to a small gray, red, then to a soft but light pink. Try it.

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:17 pm
hue = colour?

well hopefully lol, it was actually a lotta fun shifting it for the pear:

i got rid of the outline, not sure if it was a good idea or not

but the cherries were more difficult, ill try again tomorrow, thanks Ryan

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57:05 pm
TrevoriouS: you got saturation backwards: low saturation is greyish, high saturation is vibrant. I'd say saturation is not the "hardness" but the vibrancy.
A lightness of 0 would be black, one of 100 would be white. Between are the respective variations of whatever hue you're dealing with.
And yes, Mim, hue is pretty much color. Changing hue = changing colors.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:42:16 am
Dithering can be great in the right instances but in this case I do not think it is at all necessary. Dithering is meant to smooth colours together basically, but in such a small space it just makes things less defined and kind of flat looking. Other things adding to the 'flat' issue is the lack of contrast and as stated before, saturation.

Here's an edit to sort of study and compare against what you have.

Contrast in small spaces helps define shape and depth.
Proper saturation helps make it sort of..pop. It gives it life I guess haha
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:20 am
I, instead, think dithering does not have to be excluded completely. Adding small amounts of dither in certain parts of the sprite give it texture, although I'll have to admit, mine looks rather like a bomb or a jar of a sort (sorry!). You definitely do not need to dither everything, though, especially for such a small image. I reduced its height for 1 pixel, and changed the palette, for all it's worth. I haven't looked at a pear for ages, now.

[edit] These last few days have proven to me that smaller sprites are much harder to do :S

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:19:48 am by Alonso »

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:40 pm
i changed the colours so they're more similar to Alonso's, they look more pear-like than the cyan highlights i had goin on in the old one

i also got rid of a lot of the dithering, it looks a lot less grainy or noisy if you know wat i mean:

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:18 pm
That looks much better! Perhaps you should reconsider removing the outlines (if the backgrounds, if it is going to be part of an atmosphere, follow a "flashback" style of simplicity, nevermind me), since such small objects tend to get lost. I kept the outline for the most part by shading it with the lightest colour available after the one by its side. If the object is bigger or contrasts greatly with the background, though, I see no problem in defining no outline.

Offline Mim

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:20:01 pm
bit of a lame update but by...
I kept the outline for the most part by shading it with the lightest colour available after the one by its side.
do u mean:

im really pleased with how its turned out actually  :)

im not sure wat u meant when u said
if the backgrounds, if it is going to be part of an atmosphere, follow a "flashback" style of simplicity, nevermind me
would you, or anyone else, mind explaining?

thanks
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:04:17 pm by Mim »