AuthorTopic: Platformer Sprite  (Read 6046 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Platformer Sprite

on: November 19, 2006, 08:34:42 am
Well I've been writing up the design for a platformer for a couple of weeks now, slowly churning over in my head what the main character could look like. I've been developing the idea with difficulty, but after enough ideas I've decided to give him a pixelling;

The game is somewhat comical/non-serious in its tone, I dunno if this guy looks too serious for the job. Any C&C would be good, on what you think of the design as well as the pixelling  :)

EDIT: wow...really blends in with the forum colours  :huh:
EDIT: fiddled with colours a bit, see above
EDIT: update; added another shade to help define the background arm and leg
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:11:24 am by EyeCraft »

Offline rydath

• View Profile

Re: Platformer Sprite

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:23:06 am
Looks pretty cool to me, but then again, Im a severe noob, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. :crazy: Perhaps even more contrast could be a good idea, though (I worry he might get eaten by a similarly colored background. But again, me= noob). He doesn't look serious with such cartoony proportions, at least to me, but he does look undead or somethin', so he could easily fit into a morbid or gothic scenario, too. Good luck with this guy, I like him.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:33:58 am
Cheers rydath  ;D. I fiddled with the palette a bit more, I think I like it better;

EDIT: upped contrast yet again, lol.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:39:02 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:46:56 am
AHA! I knew that guy reminded me of something...Now I see. That sprite kind of looks like Golem!  :P

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 09:47:47 am
Yer i think as far as cartooniness goes he reminds me of Abe's Odicey, in that he can pass for cartoony but still brings a sort of seriousness (almost morbidness) to the setting, which is cool in my opinion. As far as the new palette change goes i prefer the green skin tone IMO if you could find a mid point between those two it might look very good i think. not much to critique as far as actual pixel techniques and such go, except it almost looks as though there is a stray pixel with that big toe on HIS right foot. The pose is good it makes a nice idle stance and his details look good, such as his hair I don't think that the pants and eyes colour fit to well with that palette change though.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:59:55 am
@Adrian: Lol, Gollum, I know, it's annoying.

@zeid: Thanks  :). I've actually been playing quite alot of Abe's Exoddus today, it's a somewhat good model for the platformer I want to make. Hmm midpoint between the palettes could be tricky...I reversed the direction of the hue shift for the blue one, lol. But there's no such thing as too much fiddling (though I've heard rumours it will send you blind ;)), so I'll play around a bit more and see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Perhaps something like this;

OLD      NEW

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 11:38:24 am by EyeCraft »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 12:22:27 pm
The newest one looks great, as have all of them so far. I think that the greener hue for the most prominent highlight on the skin looks great with the slightly bluer shade. The whole piece looks cleaner then all the previous ones IMO, and the fact its a slight green tinge makes it look more organic then the slightly bright hue (again IMO). My main quarrel with the blue skin was that it might distract from the game, as you can tell the piece looks best on a dark background, I'm assuming your going to give the environment a slight darkness, am i right? I attempted to edit your piece for improvement but only managed to find 1 if any, his left shoulder looks as though its to prominent/shiny, I also made the pants look slightly more separate from the body, but I think I overdid it a bit and that could probably be left. also made a number of ridiculously small changes that are barely noticeable. The piece is so good it's very hard to critique it well.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 01:09:58 pm
Ahh, I very much appreciate the edit, zeid! All the things you've changed are things that have been irking me.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:43:02 pm
I think this is really great, I like it a lot.  One thing that bothers me is that his left arm and leg aren't highlighted, and I don't see where the lightsource would be blocked, especially since his chest and stomach are still highlighted.  It makes it look odd to me.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:55:02 am
Ah yes. Well I was trying to do the depth thing I've seen done where one makes the further limbs darker. Maybe I'll only do it during the run/walk cycles. Originally is was highlighted on them and I took it out as an experiment, I'll highlight them again and give everyone a look...

EDIT:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:06:10 am by EyeCraft »