AuthorTopic: Tree [Finished?]  (Read 9713 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Tree [Finished?]

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 05:23:20 pm
the potential trouble with my edit is that it has enough attention-drawing counterchange to choke a horse, and if it were used in a game, it might steal away from characters unless they, too, are rather bright.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:32:31 pm
Though I do think in terms of gameplay there's too much saturation in your piece, Adarias, I do enjoy the 'humid' feel the red shadows give it. Also, it's not in a game, as far as I know, therefore it doesn't have to complete with anything else until it is.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 05:51:38 pm
Well, it IS actually going to be in a personal project I'm workin on. And I'm looking for a very warm atmosphere in the game.
Helm: You're colours are great, but I really think they're too cold for the purpose of this game. I should increase the contrast on the leaves to increase depth here though.
Even though your colours are not what I'm looking for right now, it was still adducational, thank you.

Adarias: I'm really leaning towards your colours, red is of course one of the warmest colours there is, and I really like the atmosphere of your edit.

Here's my interpetation:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:26:38 pm by Opacus »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 07:45:58 pm
all i have to say is wow, opacus. this is some quality shit right here!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 08:07:35 pm
Great!  I still think you need more contrast between the top and bottom of your clumps, but this is fantastic.  Leaves are a pain in the ass, and you make em look easy :)  nice work!

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:02 pm
You're good D:
I don't have anything to crit.
Nice texturing!
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 08:39:32 pm
Thanks loads guys =)
Here's some more contrast again, Adam?:

(Oh whoops, by replacing the last one, it's no longer hosted by PJ, thus it's no longer hosted. Did it that way cus imageshack's bitching today.)

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 08:48:37 pm
wow, very nice work. I think the bark should get a desat job, I think the red color is a bit overwhelming. I find cooler, maybe even greenish shades toward the dark end would compliment the leaves more. however if your game desires a warmer atmosphere then AT LEAST tone down the red a little.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 01:56:10 am
alkaline, i dont wish to offend, but each thing you said is artistically wrong.  red compliments green by definition, green doesnt compliment itself, and desaturation removes warmth, it doesnt add it, and red adds warth are well.

im not trying to call you out here, i just want to put those out for the record, in case someone goes and takes your reasons as correct, and ends up mislearning (as you may have?)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 02:12:34 am
apparently the red was only overwhelming on my other computer. I checked it out on my other and the red is not nearly as noticeable. time for a recalibration...

like, it was a BRIGHT red. in that case, I don't think it would work so well, eh. I wasn't referring to complementing colors persay, I probably could have worded it better. from my point of view the red was just awful, but it was my monitor.