AuthorTopic: Hobo Heaven  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Hobo Heaven

on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:10 pm
Before submitting to this week contest, I'd like to see if there's anything (C+C) you'd like to point out on this work

Keep in mind that it's about 2 days I'm on this and I am a bit tired, but if it's possible I'd like to improve it without too much hassle.

"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Hobo Heaven

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:25:18 pm
You are the dither-master :y:

There is something weird going on with the perspective on the door-frame.

Thats how I it looks to me.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:49 pm

Thats how I it looks to me.
how it looks, or should look?
didn't understand.
What's wrong in your opinion?
consider a central perspective on the door, maybe the two rocks on the base of the pillars are a bit strange and lacks of depth?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:45:48 pm
I think the perspective is a bit too strong on those pillars -- should be showing less of the sides(I think that's might be what EvilEye is trying to say). They might also benefit from sharper design, as they look a bit soft and round right now, at least on the bottom.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:05 pm
Very cool! The scene's overall impact could be greatly increased with more adventurous lighting, though. And why not more blues to convey a cold wintery feel outside, so the warm inner glow of the secret hobo lair is made to look even better, like a real haven from the cold for bums.

And now I will totally desecrate your pixels in order to better convey what I'm talking about, prepare for phoshop butchery  look away!

The edit takes care of the tragic lack of contrast and plains of monotonous texture. Only made it because I love the scene, yet know it's full potential is far from acheived. Not a suggestion of an easy revision I realize, but it's hopefully helpful anyway. Oh, and I don't really detect any perspective problems, but those plain old stones do bug me, though they do balance the scene well. Gotta like your strong symmetry.

Finally, the gate doesn't look like a bum's hideout, it's too clean and perfect. It needs odd homeless people paraphanelia laying around, nailed to the wood, graffiti, etc. Grunge it up, sir peach.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:49 pm
thanks Mathias for the comment.

The only thing I would like to note: unfortunately the contest restriction is on color count, and now I'm full at 32. so it would be really hard to achieve such lighting emphasis, but I think you all pointed out a good thing: the "pillars" are actually too much flat, as well as the bottom rocks.
I like Mathias edit to make them more rough so I'd work on that. truly love the raw look it will gain.
more I'd try to work a little better on lights casts.

stay tuned ;)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:34:35 am
how it looks, or should look?
didn't understand.
What's wrong in your opinion?
consider a central perspective on the door, maybe the two rocks on the base of the pillars are a bit strange and lacks of depth?

Sorry I thought the edit I did was self-explanatory. You have a perspective on the stones that is not consistent with the rest of the picture.

I considered the center of the doors as the vanishing point, and it doesn't make much sense.

The lights and the stones suggest a different perspective. As does the shopping cart which is totally off.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:37:59 am by EvilEye »

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:27:53 am
I might be wrong but aren't vanishing points most effective when they are placed at eye level?
If you place the vanishing point for the doors in the center the guy will look like a giant.

This picture should have at least three vanishing points i think; one for the wall/door and two for the cart that is rotated in relation to the wall.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:13:04 pm
ok I've tried to correct:
- color tones and contrast: gained one color that I used for pillars highlights
- perspective, as pointed out, there was something wrong with it: corrected the stones perspective as well as the lamps at the sides
- overall quality and some minors adjustments

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 01:23:19 pm
You can put the vanishing point anywhere you want for a different effect. Personally I like low Kung Fu Film angles but as long as it's not dead center in the image you're good. I think the sense of scale has a lot more to do with the size of the door in comparison to the hobo than anything else.
I mild from suffer dislexia.