AuthorTopic: Orc's dump  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Orc's dump

on: May 23, 2007, 01:45:00 pm
Well im pretty new, i only made 1 topic here before .. and you should expect to much from me, altough im facinated by the art of pixeling and i want to learn all tips and tricks, i was told to color line-art .. so thats what im doing .. ill post all my works here i guess..

A line-art of B2D wich i didnt finish yet, i dunno how to make her skirt look good .. realy .. i tried .. the top worked out fine .. but im just stuck with her skirt, and ye bg will come as soon as i got her finished  ::)

Some line-art i colored from B2D

Again Some line-art of B2D i colored

My 3rd sprite ever :

Please tell me what to improve, what to edit and stuff like this, i realy need to improve, and i want to improve to, if you make an edit to it .. also please post it since i learn alot by just looking  :)
Thanks already.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:56:49 am by Orclaeder »
Signature.

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Re: Orc's dump

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:35:11 pm
60 views no replies, ty  :'(
Signature.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:45:42 pm
1.The colors are bland and don't make for that nice-of viewing...you need contrast, contrast! The colors in the first piece need contrast...BAD. And yet, they also Hue-shift waaay too hard to look pleasing together..Purple -> Read- >orange, all in just three colors...
this isn't going to work on small pieces where you NEED as much readability as possible, people should be able to see it decently without ever having to zoom-in on it.

2.As for dithering on such small pieces...This is just painful. I wouldn't, just use another color, it won't hurt at all...Just don't use like >30 colors...use around 10-20. Why would you dither small pieces, anyway? Dithering only works on large pieces where you can't see the dithering taking place too much and it acts like an additional color(s). On small pieces dithering just looks like a grid, this is not what you want.

3.Anti-alas your lines by either applying:
applying a lighter color inside the outline it's-self at the exact jaggy pixels
or apply a color thats between the inside color (let's say green) and line color (let's say real dark green) and apply on the inside of solid shapes next to jagged steps...
Linky-
http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/01_AA.html

4. Why black outlines? Real life doesn't have black outlines...To me, this is just ugly. I can understand black-outlines for contrast against backgrounds and such in games, but even then.

5. Please, don't double-post, the admins will hit you with a stick...If you get no replies, this means:
A. People have taken a glance, but are too busy to reply.
B. People are in the process of typing or editing a piece for you.
C. You've got bad luck and just need to wait it out.

Good luck, I hope this has helped.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:10:13 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 06:10:04 pm
K, about what piece exactly are you talking ?
The second one is overdithered because i wanted a beard effect, other than that i dont see any dithering, also the black outlines is because i colored line-art and didnt color the outlines .. i know i could do selective outlining and stuff .. but ye.. also if i AA'd my black lines would have became to .. erm .. to thick ? And im not doing the Selout + AA .. other than that anything else ?

Ye the third piece is a bit .. to the bad side.. ill edit that one :) Maybe you could edit some pieces to prove me wrong and show me how i could make it nicer ?
Ty  :y:

:)
Signature.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:12:22 pm
K, about what piece exactly are you talking ?
The second one is overdithered because i wanted a beard effect, other than that i dont see any dithering,

Piece number Ono has dithering all around the pillowey shoulder pads on the dress and other places, Number two, yes, you've explained that one. Number threes' face is 100% dithering and makes it look...eh...not good.

other than that i dont see any dithering, also the black outlines is because i colored line-art and didnt color the outlines .. i know i could do selective outlining and stuff .. but ye.. also if i AA'd my black lines would have became to .. erm .. to thick ?

No, you can AA outlines without adding thickness at all.

other than that anything else ?

Piece 1: The colors =not good, dither= bad, lack of texture or any thing except a SOLID color on walls, chest, mouse, etc = not good at all..

1 and 3: Palletes are not good, and there is absolutely or barely any trace of a light source anywhere, maybe on the shirts, but jut a bit
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:19:03 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:18:21 pm
You need to practice more before you make a dump. Dump's are for showing off and you should not be showing off at this point. Work hard on individual pieces and submit them for critque instead of several pieces. You'll get better help this way by focusing crits onto a specific sprite/portrait/whatever.

Don't post to ask why noone has replied after x amount of views. There are hundreds of people like me on this board, looking and not posting.

EDIT: Not trying to be mean. I do think you'll get more helpful crits by submitting single pieces for us to concentrate on
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 07:18:11 pm by crab2selout.png »

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:03:33 pm
Ok i guess, by the way, 1 isnt finished, only the top and the head .. thats why i asked about the skirt  :-[
Im sorry if i irritate you guys because im sertainly not .. im just trying to learn pixeling   :-[ :-[
And i didnt know about that Dump thing.. i tought it was more a place for .. well just pixels, in my case trash but ye .. thx  :)
Ill be focussing on sprites more i think .. thank you.
Signature.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 07:07:33 pm
Im sorry if i irritate you guys because im sertainly not .. im just trying to learn pixeling   :-[ :-[

Nah, just trying to help, it always ends up sounding like I'm mad though  :crazy:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 07:18:19 pm
crab2 - its not for you to decide what a dump is to be used for.  If there are a few similar pieces (such as this one) and the poster doesn't mind getting feedback on all of them, I don't see how this could possibly be a problem

orc - the second piece, the guy with the glasses, is the strongest by far.  If the background was a little less busy and contrasty, and you'd use some colored outlines here and there, i'd venture to say it was a very fine piece, particularly for a beginner!  I concur with most of draco's first post.  Dithering is a useful technique for saving colors, but you should be aware of its side effects as well as its benefits.  Dithering will almost always add some texture to your piece, it will make the surface look bumpy, rather than smooth.  You use this very well on the stubble on the second piece, but it seems to have been used rather indiscriminately on the other designs.  Your reliance on black outlines is definitely hampering the work - it looks more like coloring book pieces than a painting.  All of the piece suffer from having unsure lighting and rough palettes.  I'd recommend, for the sake of practice, taking another pass at your second piece.  Build on your strengths, and try experimenting with some new techniques.  Start eliminating some of the black lines, think a little harder about the light and where its coming from, smooth out the background some.

Finally, welcome to pixelation!

Offline Orclaeder

• Hi there ^^
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 04:48:20 am
Something like this  ?

:D

~Edit I did something with the bg  :-X

Tadaaaa  :D What do you think  :)?

~Edit Well i tried editing the beard.. im not saying its better .. but .. what do you think ppl  :)?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:57:20 am by Orclaeder »
Signature.