AuthorTopic: Dithering tutorial?  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Dithering tutorial?

on: December 04, 2008, 04:07:22 pm
Hey,

I've been around here for a little bit, and i've never really been told how to dither effectively. Can anyone link me to something or, if i'm not being a snot, make one? I've always been curious about it, since i know there are way more techniques than my bland 1x1 pixel checkerboard pattern. If there are any rules of thumb or anything, could you post them here?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Shrike

Offline ILikePie

• The name's Bob
    • View Profile

Re: Dithering tutorial?

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:10:13 pm
I'm interested as well, my dithering never looks good.  :(

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:00:11 pm
dithering is a strange technique that grew out of more general principles:

isolation versus pattern and mass - a mark that is unique or distanced from similar marks is read as an individual element and does not, therefor, typically contribute to sub-elemental workings such as shading a greater surface.   the more regular something is, the less important it becomes, allowing it to become part of something else.  Dithering and other textures rely on this subversion of the element to achieve its goals.

scale, contrast, and relation to the whole - small marks are easier to subvert than large marks, and marks that contrast less with the dominant color are also.

nonindependence of shape - pixels can very readily create shapes larger than themselves by touching the pixels around them, obviously to the cardinal points but also across diagonals.  This second creates the checkerboard lattices that we read as "both white and black" or "gray" in a simple dither.  However, it is important to recognize that shape is independent of size and that it is merely illustrating larger ideas of continuity very effectively:
ANY FORM WHICH TOUCHES ANOTHER IS CONNECTED VISUALLY REGARDLESS OF AREA OR SHAPE.
The connection can range from sharing a point to sharing an entire entity (and which point the shapes become one).  the reason this is important is because it means that any cluster of shapes which touch each other activate this same blending space whether they are sqaures in a grid or bubbles of soap or people holding hands.

On a final note since i'm late for leaving, also recognize that positive and negative space have no meaning for continuity of shape.  a bunch of nearly-touching black circles is also a bunch of barely-touching white diamonds and vice versa :

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:09:07 pm
That was a confusing post!

This might be useful Shrike:
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/OrderedDitherPatterns/

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:50 pm
I think that regular 50% dithering was mainly used on older machines to generate extra colours and CRTs screens blend the dithering and make it invisible.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:01 am
Thanks for comments all, especially adiar-ndchristine for that extremely well-written and although somewhat confusing, awesome piece of work. :) Very handy, thanks a million.

Ptoing: yeah, i read that on gas13s tutorials.

happymonster: Thanks for the link. It should be useful. :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:47:03 am
That was a confusing post!

It's not easy to sum up several sophisticated and rather subjective/nebulous/transient parts of design theory on a coffee break during finals.  I'd be glad to clarify if you asked questions :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:17:45 pm
I've always liked Helm's dithering. Check out his Pixeljoint gallery

I'm pretty sure there were some dithering activities so try out hte search button and see the fun stuff that comes up.

Here's a couple general guidelines I use myself.
-no dithering on small sprites since it typical hurts teh clarity and makes the sprite look busy
-don't dither between high contrast colours. Usually willl jsut come across as noise and be a bit jarring to the eye. Add some buffer shades then dither.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:17:42 am
Here are two old images of mine I made to answer questions like this:

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:04:31 am
Those are some useful images there lollige! Although the green and blue seem a strange combination on my monitor here. ;)