AuthorTopic: [WIP]Alien  (Read 4444 times)

Offline SinX

• Pixel til' my eyes bleed
    • View Profile

[WIP]Alien

on: August 07, 2007, 08:43:33 pm
Well, this is for the Semi-Finals in "The Universes Greatest Spriter" competition over at pixeltendo, I really need crit to make it better, and getting crit on pixeltendo is almost impossible. Dont go easy on me.  :P

Updated version:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:44:52 pm by SinX »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Alien

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:46 pm

Eh, tried to make him look a little bit more like an alien, believe it or not, this is an edit, I went pretty far with it, since you're in a competition, I would suggest adding a background to better your chances.

Offline SinX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:17:07 am
Yeah, the background is my next priority. :D

Thanks for the edit, but I like the style I had going. :lol:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:54:46 am
Don't worry about the background just yet. There's a fair few problems I see with this;

- Assuming this creature is supposed to be intelligent, and that it has a brain, and that it's brain is in its head; its forehead, and thus its cranium is too small to accommodate a large, intelligent brain.
- The shading is bordering on pillow-shading, and needs redefinition. Consider the lightsource(s).
- IMO there's too much saturation in the colours. Play with the saturation a bit, maybe tone it down in the highlights or shadows a little.
- The mouth is far too simplified and unrealistic. It looks like a papercut. Look at it and imagine it trying to open, stretch, smile, eat. There's no slack or structure around the mouth to support any of those actions.
- Shoulders need much more work. There's no deltoid-like muscle that gives the arm any base movement. It wouldn't be able to lift its arms! Perctorals aren't connecting with the humerus...it wouldn't be able to hug! Or bitch-slap! There's also very little muscle to allow for neck and head movement.

Basically, whilst it's not an earth life form, let alone a primate, you've given it a hominid-like structure, and so you would do well to study some human anatomy and apply it to the piece to make its body actually physically functional.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:30:29 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:23:56 am
I second what EyeCraft said with an edit (Although I think these guys do have paper cut-like mouths):

It's pretty sketchy but I guess it'll do the job. I'm assuming you're trying to depict a "classic" alien image. So, to the frames subtitles:

1. Your alien sprite.
2. Outlines, implementing a rounder head structure. I've also corrected the perspective so the face still looks a little but not too flat. I've moved the eyes, nose and mouth down to improve the big-headness (heh) feeling. Added deltoids! He's now able to bitch-slap. haha.
3. Erased your alien
4. Darkened outlines.
5. Worked on the outlines. It's now closer to what I wanted.
6. Re-colored the little fellow using your palette.
7. Swapped all colors to a color that IMO better represent a classic alien. Increased contrast between darkest shadow and brightest highlight (2 less colors in the final palette) and desaturated everything a bit. Moved the light source to the left (not really necessary. I just thought it might look better)
8. Silly background!!! Wee!

Good luck with the contest!  ;)

Cheers,
-Stefano

Offline SinX

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 06:37:41 pm
Thanks for the crit you guys. :D

I will fix it up in a little while to make it more anatomically correct.  :P

BTW, the person I am going up against is Zee, here is his entry :
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4689.0

Offline SinX

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:52 am
Well, I still have a lot of fixing to do. I cant really pixel right now, my fingers are killing me from dirt jumping all day, but here is what I have so far.

:huh:

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:47:55 pm
hmm. You still have some anatomy issues. I have done a quick edit...

Also, look at stefano's edit. It goes into much more detail, and fixes a lot of anatomy problems.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline SinX

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:55:17 am
Thanks for all the crit you guys gave. :D

There is no need to continue, I wasn't really interested in this piece anyway, I just had to get something done, I won the match and now I am in the finals.

Thanks.  :-*