AuthorTopic: Demon Armor Samus WIP  (Read 15089 times)

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Demon Armor Samus WIP

on: November 12, 2007, 10:44:12 am

This could use a bit of tweaking, but for the most part I'm almost finished. The perspective of the missing leg is giving me a little trouble, but I'm fairly satisfied with how everything else turned out.. except for maybe the shoe, but thats why it's still WIP. I've been staring at this damn thing for nearly 12 hours so I might be missing something quite important here. Any help/advice/CC is appreciated.

Also, I'm not a structured pixel artist or even artist in general. I've never really used frame sketches or outlines, and thats a huge weakness as far as compositions like this are concerned. It's easy to BS with pixels, and I've been doing that for years, but I could be a whole lot better.

Edit: for comparison.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:18:50 pm by Bit-Blade »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Demon Armor Samus WIP

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:47 am
His left hand is too small. You should flip the legs horizontally since when your right leg is forward, your right arm is backward. Im assuming his right leg cant be fully seen because he is running.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:27:18 am

Offline Neumaennl

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:48 pm
the chest and the arms look like they belong to a body builder because they're loaded with muscles - not very female
but if it were to be a man in armor I'd say top notch! :)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:20:08 pm
the chest and the arms look like they belong to a body builder because they're loaded with muscles - not very female
but if it were to be a man in armor I'd say top notch! :)
Remember that the suit is a thick body armour, ment to protect the user. It would be normal for it to be alot thicker then the regular body of the user.
Also, females are often seen as less threatening, since they are usually smaller, and less wide then men. Wouldn't this make enemies seem as if she is an easy pray to enemies?
The threatening posture of the armour could help scare of enemies.

As for the actual piece, I think het gun misses volume. I suggest looking up some references of a metal tube to get a good look at how to put volume in them.
Also, a few parts seem pillow shaded. In particular, the brown parts right (our view) of her chest.
Also, the lines look a bit jagged at some places, get rid of the selout.
Furthermore it's a pretty competent piece.

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:49:54 pm

Thanks for the praise but I don't think I'm that skilled. Like I said, BSing pixels is easy if you do it enough. But it's fun so *shrugs*. Can you believe this stupid thing has taken me nearly 6 months to get it almost complete?

The only part I didn't get to is the other foot. Other than that, I added some blue-streaky things on the arm and the leg and used some slightly more desaturated colors around their edges. Also, the markings are asymmetric because the cannon arm kind of does that already.

At any rate, it went from 24 to 32 to 44 colors x.o

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:31:11 pm
Yes, I definatly see alot of un-needed colours.
Dither a bit, to blend colours. Try to knock it down to atleast 32 again. As I'm quite sure you could cut of quite some colours without detail loss.
A few of your colours are so close that it almost looks like a gradient. I think it would look better with less colours, in fact.

Even though the left leg is futher back, I think it's a bit to thin.
Especially at the hips.

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:45 pm

The hips are still giving me some trouble, but I did thicken her right thigh and tried to make the feet look ok. I enlarged the hand, but not by much. The colors have been reduced to 30.

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:12 pm

Her arm seemed slightly too long in proportion to her legs, so I made them longer and tried to give her bigger hips. The gun has kind of a funky shape with the flame-like design, I might have to work on it.

Edit: The colors got a little scrambled somehow. This should fix it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:25:00 pm by Bit-Blade »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:35 pm

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2518/samusishuv5.png
Modified the waist (tad too roughly now I look at it) to what I think looks natural.
I like this piece but the gun looks too flat and the orb below the (viewer) left shoulder looks too sketchy~