AuthorTopic: [WIP] Runcycle  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

[WIP] Runcycle

on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:00 pm
Hi guys.

I'm working on a game at the moment (not the one I posted about before - I'm trying something new).

I've created a little character and I'm trying to get him animated. I'm having difficulty so I want your honest feedback and any help! I've never done walking before :)

He looks to be sliding, somewhat.

(and yes, he's small, I'm going for the 320x240 window size like on old games consoles :D)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:26:45 pm by Hoj »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Runcycle

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:02 pm
Hi, I'm taking you're going for a run rather than a walk? If so, the sprites leg when coming forward seems to stay stiff and straight. It needs to come forward with the knee slightly bent, with the foot NEVER touching the floor when moving forward.That will fix the sliding problem. I'll make and edit if need be :)

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:22:25 pm
Yes this is running, not walking. Haven't considered walking yet. lol.

I've made a slightly updated version, I noticed the back arm (blue) was completely messed up, which is fixed now.

Thanks for the advice on the legs, I'll work on that and upload another gif.

I'd rather do it myself, but you can certainly do an edit! I'll copy what you do if it's good so I can learn. I've always avoided legs like the plague. I've done spriting and pixel art for years to some extent, as I've always enjoyed 2D game design. I've never given graphics THAT much thought though, so I'm hoping to learn now (and finally overcome my fear of legs).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:24:02 pm by Hoj »

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:49:30 pm
Okay, here's an updated version. The leg going forward is moved up (only by 1 pixel) and I've tried to get the knee to come up higher. I've edited the arms slightly too. Definitely looking better but still needs work. I've changed the colours of the arms and legs as they were hard to see on a white background before.

[edit REMOVED images, made a mistake with one of the frames when making the gif, I'll upload it again shortly!]

[edit OKAY, here it is!]

needs work on the shape of the feet and the movement of the shoulders I think. Maybe the legs need to come up higher, not too sure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:06:25 pm by Hoj »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:42:20 pm
Better! But still with flaws. Most of which you can fix with a bit more understanding of the movement. There are a few topics on this that you can find on this website, as well as other websites on the internet.

So I've made an edit, although quickly and not without flaws. Although I think you can see straight away the difference between mine and yours. One, the knee drive up and forward has the leg bent, where as you have straight. Just do a quick google on elite athletes and you will see the same knee drive I implemented. One mistake that I haven't fixed however is how the character lands. The most efficient way of landing would be to land as close to your centre of gravity as possible, to far ahead and you create a breaking force. It's also better to make the character land mid to forefoot, landing on your heel also creates a breaking force. I think that makes sense if you think about it.

I hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:05:11 pm by Jim16 »

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:36:44 pm
That certainly helps! Thanks. I'll have another go. I think I've got a lot of research to do.

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:02:59 pm
Okay, I've had another go. Copied yours somewhat and watched a couple of running cycle animations.

It's an improvement, but the movement doesn't look as fluid as yours. I'm not 100% I follow with the landing issue, I've made it so his foot only touches the ground while it's in the middle now, hopefully it helps.

Offline Agent K

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:52:05 pm
One big problem is your feet are hitting the ground at the same time and directly underneath him.  Whe you run bothe feet never touch the ground at the same time.  Typically the front foot hits slightly in front of the body and pushes backward as the back foot is moving toward the front.  In an actual run there is a period where neither feet are hitting the gound at the same time, but never where both are on the gwround simultaneously.  Also try leaning him forward a bit, basic rule of thumb is the more lean, the harder he is running and also fron foot position will shift backward as he leans more.  Picture an olympic sprinter vs a marathon runner for a visual.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 03:21:31 pm
Also try leaning him forward a bit, basic rule of thumb is the more lean, the harder he is running and also fron foot position will shift backward as he leans more.  Picture an olympic sprinter vs a marathon runner for a visual.
That's an incorrect assumption. A slight lean is fine because you let gravity aid more in the running process. However to much of a lean will attribute negatively towards running efficiency and technique. I'm a longer distances runner, and I would say the difference between an elite marathon runner and an elite sprinter is economy and efficiency over their distance (Not the lean). Sprinters use longer levers and more energy over a short distance, compared to a long distance runners shorter more energy efficient levers over long distances ( levers being arms and leg movements).

When it comes to animation though, having an understanding of proper technique is great to have, but use it as a guide. The last thing I'd want from someone is to create the perfect running technique animations all the time.  ;)  Art is freedom of creativity and something creative is more often more fun to view. At this size, we don't have the space to show complex muscle movements, with only a few pixels at our disposal. So what we do is exaggerate the movement, and let the brain interpret what's in between.

You have improved over your first iteration, but you have a bit more to do to get it just that bit better. When the back leg drives through going forward, try to get the foot closer to the bum rather than close to the floor.

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:13:39 am
Cheers for all the advice. As Jim says, at this size it's VERY difficult. I have watched some run cycles and I can see how it should look, but trying to capture that with a few pixels is proving difficult (sometimes the legs look too chunky, etc). I'm not fussed about it being perfectly accurate, just as long as it doesn't look really bad (i.e. the initial sliding!).

I'll post up the final results once I've finished!