AuthorTopic: [C+C] Character prototype  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Berserky

• View Profile

[C+C] Character prototype

on: December 04, 2015, 07:13:35 pm
So this guy should be a gray haired swordsman/villager.
I did what i could so i want to know if there is anything i can do to improve it. I plan to animate it eventualy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:16:59 pm by Berserky »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Character prototype

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:21:02 am
His arms and legs are very thin.  You could increase both in thickness by one pixel and they would still give you the thin look that you are going for.

Given the large number of pixels that you are dedicating to his face, I would expect at least a hint of facial features.

If you reduce the color count and/or increase the contrast you will be able to show more volume.

Offline Berserky

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:34:18 pm
Thanks Glak, your feedback was very helpful, I tried what you suggested and he truned out much better. But i am still not complitely sure on the color choice or shading. I dont want him to be too colorful but not bland either. Anyway here is the new sprite.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 12:44:52 am
you have many browns and tans that are very similar.  try to avoid this in pixel art.  either up the contrast between similar colors, or do what is called hue shifting:

this example isn't done pretty, but it shows the idea.  instead of just having all greens of similar hue but just darker and lighter greens, shift the different greens to new hues.  a common approach is as a color gets lighter, shift it to a warmer, yellower hue, and as a color gets darker, shift it to a more purplish/blue.

in pixel art you usually want all your colors to stand out from each other