AuthorTopic: [C+C] Acid Sword  (Read 6529 times)

Offline mtheterminator

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile

[C+C] Acid Sword

on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:32 pm

This is my first piece of pixel art ever, so please give me some advice on this one.
A wise man once said, "The faintest ink is more powerful than the sharpest memory".

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Acid Sword

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:12:54 am
Your sword has a pretty exotic design which is pretty cool.
The flaw with your sword is that it's really bulky. It looks like something you would paddle a boat with. Like a paddle.
In my opinion, a better looking sword, is a more realistic looking sword. Swords are thin, nimble, and graceful. Your crossguard is good.
Here is an edit I did.
I added a pommel to the end of the handle, made the blade a lot thinner and more believable. I like the design of it, and the concept. I thought maybe you could try to add a glow effect from the acid like in the example on the right, but if that's not what you're going for its cool either way.

Use the example however you want.

Offline mtheterminator

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:54:23 am
Thank you so much! ;D

I really like how you modified the design and yes, I was going for some sort of acid magically running through a channel in the blade.
Thanks for the feedback!
A wise man once said, "The faintest ink is more powerful than the sharpest memory".

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:58 am
I've never been a fan of chunky anime swords but I disagree with the comment that its a design flaw as it is a common and popular style while also being quite practical in pixel art.
I also think the Roach's edit is less convincing of a sword and looks more like one of these things - http://www.kidszonepartyshop.co.uk/images/P/colourblowout.jpg

Re the original design I have to ask what's with the curls?
I can't think how they relate to either a sword or acid.

Maybe u could just go for a more normal looking sword that is just kinda oozing and dripping acid.
Perhaps its made of glass but that might be tricky to get working.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:01:24 am
@decroded:I wasn't saying its a design flaw in pixel art, I was saying its a design flaw in real life. Its basic sword design for realism. A sword that thick would be too frankly too heavy, and pretty much impossible in a realistic point of view, and yes its fantasy, however, fantasy realms should typically be based around the same physics as real life, therefore a sword too bulky like that would slow down the wielder and be an ineffective weapon. Its okay to exaggerate things, but swords shouldn't look like clubs. All I did in my edit was thin the blade out to a more realistic shape.
The design is not too far off from a combination between a traditional chinese hook sword, and an indian warclub. It makes for a far reasonable weapon that would be light weight, allowing the wielder to do more advanced techniques, without wearing out the user too much, or leaving any unnecessary risks to leave you wide open. The original design would have too much drag, not allowing the user to properly switch positions if needed. The design I proposed would be a weapon which would be able to hook onto things, and possibly wrap around opponents defenses. Personally the only flaw I can think of in the design is that its top heavy and doesn't have a point, not allowing any stabbing attacks, but it would be a very good slasher, and because of the sword blade, you would still be able to preform draw cuts. Personally the only thing I would change in the sword in terms of practicality (and totally my opinion,) is modify the crossguard to be more flat. But, I think that would take away from the overall design of this blade.
Also I thought the comparison of the blowout toy was pretty funny. :lol:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:51:28 am
snip

art is allowed to break rules.  that's why it's art.  Granted, you might not want to give your character a fish taco inside of a metal safe surrounded by lasers and call it a sword (then again that might not be a bad idea), but I don't see why it can't be as big as mtheterminator wants.

Decroded has a point that the sword doesnt immediately call to mind acid, but Terraria got away with such things once the attack particle effects come into play.  Though i think making it more...acid like would definitely improve the artistic appeal.  Maybe even a sword that seems to be dissolving itself?   maybe something like the glass weapons from morrowind, but with a more liquidey shape

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:40:12 am

You could make it animated and dripping and made entirely out of acid. Or maybe make it glow a bright neon green and have some sizzly steamy particles come off it.
Maybe this can be some inspiration.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:43:53 am

The rusty sword suggestion.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:54:50 am
@friend: I never said art wasn't allowed to break rules. That's why I said its okay to exaggerate. But I will mention again, realism is my personal preference. He can make his sword as damn well big as he wants, I like to keep my swords realistic and functional if put in a real world situation. In my opinion, a good fantasy sword is a sword that has realistic properties, and if it doesn't have realistic properties, it needs some explanation as to why it doesn't, to build upon the overall lore. I mean sure its cool to not give any ****s about realism sometimes, but I mean that picture you just posted, that dude would be toast in a real fight. He wouldn't be able to lift that over sized sword. (yes I know its fantasy, its allowed, but if some one was strong enough to hold a weapon that big, he would be even more effective with a smaller/ lighter weapon because he would be faster and more adaptable.) Weapons are more attractive to me when people actually put thoughts of functionality to them, rather than cloud mockups. Again this is all my opinion and I give you permission to hate me for it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:17 am
I personally agree (and I'm a sword buff too) with the opinions above, video games do not need to be realistic, art need not be realistic. I'll say even more: whenever I see the word realism being used in conjunction with games, it's usually a bad sign. Realism does not make for fun, especially for the game design and animation, but also for the art in general. I highly prefer the art of Warcraft 2 over that of Diablo 2. As for concepts, the first lesson you'll get in almost any concept art class is to exaggerate life to its extremes. For a fighting game, the huge sword Friend posted looks like hella fun to me. I wouldn't push it that far for an RPG probably (I don't like the over exaggerated JRPGs), but I'd push it way beyond what would work IRL.

As a final note, I personally think the original sword looks more usable in real life than Roach's edit. The original looks like a big bill hook sword, while Roach's edit looks very fragile. For reference, here's a bill hook:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:40:54 am by Gil »