AuthorTopic: Newbie here. Need critique and feedback.  (Read 2005 times)

Offline dyp

• View Profile

Newbie here. Need critique and feedback.

on: November 11, 2017, 11:16:37 am
Hello, I am a new member here, and want to learn more about pixel art, and totally new in this field.
So, here is my first attempt trying to draw pixel art(wanna try imitate NES style).

Using NES palette entirely, with 144 x 240 resolution. Made in Clip Studio Paint. I tried to match color as close as possible from original image.
Any critique, feedback are really welcome!

Of course, reference image are used.

Image link=goo.gl/tnrVFj

*sorry, I don't have an idea how to shrink the reference image

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Newbie here. Need critique and feedback.

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:06:53 pm
If you are seriously trying for NES style then you should read this.

The master palette is in my opinion the least stylistically significant part of the NES's restrictions, with the real stylistic influence comes from the NES's limited size, number and application of subpalettes.

You should be able to adapt this to NES restriction conformance with little qualitative change. Presuming tiles only, just limit yourself to 4 palettes of 4 colours (all sharing one colour in common) per 16x16 pixel cell. If needs be you could also throw a few sprites on top to reconstruct any important details that can't be represented within the tile limitations.

Offline dyp

• View Profile

Re: Newbie here. Need critique and feedback.

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 01:35:57 pm
If you are seriously trying for NES style then you should read this.

The master palette is in my opinion the least stylistically significant part of the NES's restrictions, with the real stylistic influence comes from the NES's limited size, number and application of subpalettes.

You should be able to adapt this to NES restriction conformance with little qualitative change. Presuming tiles only, just limit yourself to 4 palettes of 4 colours (all sharing one colour in common) per 16x16 pixel cell. If needs be you could also throw a few sprites on top to reconstruct any important details that can't be represented within the tile limitations.

Thank you so much for the feedback and link to the thread. Really want to try break my habit of "draw everything I see" and drawing without breaking the "NES limitations" rules.