AuthorTopic: Drawing a planet  (Read 5854 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Drawing a planet

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:18 am
That's looking exceptionally nice in my opinion. Keep up the great work! I like the river! Can you see it from space like that though? Looks like you've got a lot to go.

Are you planning on adding some city lights in the dark side of the Earth?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:22:26 am
surprised this hasn't been featured yet, it's a pretty good progress thread.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:29:11 pm
Cool I think I am done-ish.

Heres what it looks like in game. I darkened the atmosphere on the dark side of the planet from the image above.

EDIT / REPLY

Oh sorry guys, I didnt see your replies.

Re the river I was working off this image of the Amazon:  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9c/ff/1b/9cff1b6aa6a3bfc3ee74fa7e40cc0bc2.jpg . So maybe its realistic that you could see it from space, but maybe not from the altitude of my drawings perspective. In the game the river isnt visible unfortunately. The planet image gets shrunk and rotated, which washes out the contrast.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:31:46 pm by Chadtech »

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 03:38:42 am
Kinda related to making the planet, I made some progress on the game its a part of.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 04:05:40 am
lookin good. I'd add some scanlines to it to give it that classic "this is a computer display" look, or alternatively some blueshift if you want to diverge from that a bit.
Judging from the fontchoice there though seems like you're going for the Alien-style retrofuture look, which in my opinion is the best and only look one should strive for
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Chadtech

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:10 am
Thansk MysteryMeat.

Scanlines! Thats a good idea. Maybe Ill throw an image over the whole screen thats just an alternation between gray and transparent horizontal lines.

The font is just my personal font I use for everything. I agree tho, the Alien look is the only correct one.

btw the game in its current state, is available at : http://www.chadtech.us/elm-prac-9 (its an HTML game).

Its been interesting dealing with blur and distortion. Usually I insist on aliased un-smoothed pixel art (right, how could you not?). I normally have to manually turn off HTMLs anti aliasing, but I left it on for the font since I think it adds to the old-computer feel (you can tell the font is pixelated by design, but its bleeding through like its a CRT screen).

Separately from the font, almost all the image assets are either stretched or rotated, which blurs them. That really wasnt my intention, and Im surprised by how nice this affect has been. Its exactly what I thought would have been unideal.

Offline Bluestar55

• It's over 9000!!!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:51 am
I see you added clouds but also think, does the planet have a moon or moons, and it might need a small sign of citys if it is already colonized
It's over 9000!!!