AuthorTopic: Tiles [WIP]  (Read 6258 times)

yosh64

Re: Tiles [WIP]

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:39:46 am
hey

Sorry to go off topic, but I advise that if you ever want to complete a game, that you limit yourself to just 3 colors/shades per tile :). Once the game is done, maybe you can go over it and refine and add colors or whatever. I have actually started working on a game atm, and I'm kinda in a bit of a block right as I speak... I have actually done some tiles before, and I find that actually mapping out / designing your level, and marking out what's what helps get things moving, and once this is done drawing the tiles for the level becomes of less thought. I hope this makes sense.

Ohh, and don't under estimate what you can do using just 3 colors/shades, you can still make very nice looking levels :). So I thinks :P.

About your tiles, I don't have much to add... other than that I think it looks odd that the rocks suddenly drop off into a complete nothingness of brown. I think you should maybe add some low color rocks here and there throughout the bottom of the brown.

Anyhows keep at it :crazy:.

cya

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Tiles [WIP]

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:47:52 am
Sorry to go off topic, but I advise that if you ever want to complete a game, that you limit yourself to just 3 colors/shades per tile :).

Working on a game myself too, I wonder why one should use only 3 colours per tile. For time reasons? Because imho keeping the colour count very low isn't speeding up the process always. I think it takes much longer to get statisfying results with 3 colours than with more sometimes. Also this relies on the size of the tiles. Doinng 16*16 tiles with only 3 colours is imho a bit hard sometimes.