AuthorTopic: Olly's Top-Down Factory  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Olly's Top-Down Factory

on: January 31, 2010, 04:18:43 am
Just a quick project I did for a top-down contest. Took me around an hour, not including the time I ran a D&D game in between somewhere along the way.

You're welcome to C&C, I'd love to see how you think it could be better. Edits are of course welcome, if words aren't your thing.

Update: Now with 25% more shiny!

Also, it's worth pointing out that this contest has a few more rounds in it, so I'll be posting as I get significant edits accomplished.

Like say, THIS edit:

And another...

More...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:55:51 pm by Olothontor »
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: Good Ol' Top-Down

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:22:50 pm

Major update: nearing completion. Buncha minor details added on in this version.

Anything else anyone can think of that I can tack on at the last minute?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: Good Ol' Top-Down

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55:16 pm
Some test fighters using one of the Dodonpachi palettes (my next project needs to be figuring out good color schemes so that I can stop using other people's...  :( )

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:17:05 am by Olothontor »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Olly's Top-Down Factory

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:07:26 pm
I just love your sprites.

Dude, you know how when you offer negative criticism it's good to include some positive lines too -

in this case I think it's a good idea to try to find some kind of feedback or relevant commentary to go with your praise - that way we'll keep everyone constantly cheering each other on, pushing each other to improve and learn O:

as a mod, I usually just delete one-liners that don't offer critique, but at the same time all conversation might turn out useful, like Olonthor's mention of the DoDonpachi influence, that might get an interested pixel newbie to search out the original - I mean that's useful

we're treading a fine line, us modsers : D

sooo.

crits.

upper area of blue glow has severe amounts of banding - since the pixel lines are stacked on each other they create crazy psychological visual phenomena making me see vertical lines in the rifts between stacks - not good, creating additional aliasing. You should AA and break up the pixel clusters.

I'm not too hot on the yellow and the green in combination, they're not contrasting in the hottest way. Are you really happy with the colors? then don't mind me. If you aren't, please do experiment!

The green parts of the main core are striking me as somewhat jaggy. Simplify those shapes for a visually pleasing result.

Also are there more assets to this project? Lasers and explosions? THEN POST THEM * U *

' _ '

Offline ArcherofLight

• Hi! I'm Archer, a.k.a. Kyre.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:16 pm
I offered negative criticism? Is that how you read it? Oops. Shit. I was being sarcastic from a conversation Olly and I had a few days before....

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:35 pm
I offered negative criticism? Is that how you read it? Oops. Shit. I was being sarcastic from a conversation Olly and I had a few days before....
I think you misread, he was saying that your comment was the opposite, instead of negatively criticising with no compliments you were complimenting with no criticism

EDIT: I fear I was just as unhelpful.
@Olothontor
I think your more recent ones work much better because they have more shape and contrast
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:15:53 pm by Photocopier »

Offline ArcherofLight

• Hi! I'm Archer, a.k.a. Kyre.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:31:11 pm
Oh, oh, oh. Oh dear. D: Anyways, I'm more than a tad unhelpful, Olly actually lead me here so I could get help....

@Olly:
Uhm. I like it, but what is it? War ship, freighter, cruise liner?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:08 pm
Oh, critique! Huzzah! I was beginning to think nobody would post.

I will work on the things you've pointed out. The engine flare bugged me as well, but I guess I got distracted and never went back to fix it.

The newer stuff is actually for a sprite webcomic, so it's a bit of a sneak peak  ::)

And, uhm. Excellent question. Potentially a converted cargo ship, made to transport goods into warzones? I'm not certain.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:13:46 am
Make the shapes of them more recognizeable, because now they are kinda flat and uninteresting. Try to make slopes poke out, or, NOT poke out rather.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:18 pm
I do hope you mean the big one, Lizzrd... I see nothing 'uninteresting' or 'flat' about the tan ones. They are in fact, very not flat.

Notice the perspective on the fighter with wings, and how they're slanted upward, as well as the back panels on the bulkier fighter, which stick up towards the screen at an angle.