AuthorTopic: A couple grass tiles.  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: A couple grass tiles.

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:37 am
I never understood this fixation with creating the perfect one 16x16 grass tile. Does this all come from Tsu's grass tile tutorial or what? I don't see the point of trying to completely eliminate the grid on a single grass tile. Use a few more tiles to create pleasant variation. Something like this

Less contrast would also help as you see, as grass doesn't have to devolve to noise. I'd rather look at a few stylistic patches of grass than SUPERENDERD 16x16-tiled plots of bright contrasty green forever. Do you have a reason to be working with a single tile or did you think 'well I'll just do what everybody else did!'? It seriously pays off to have even another 2 or 3 tiles to work with. Your other tile doesn't suffer from gridage as much, but is it something a player would like to look at for endless repetitions?

Offline Relic

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:54:23 pm
I have a reason for working with one tile. The newest tiles, the second one listed is one that tiles 32x32 and I agree that no, players would not want to look at it for long distances, but I am planning on adding A LOT in the way of small details, such as logs, shrubs, bushes, trees, etc, so that will not be all that the player will be looking at.

Also, about the contrast comment.. I asked earlier in this thread aswell but never recieved a reply.. Is there any good guidelines or tutorials I can use to help me in figuring out color, saturation, contrast, etc?

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:09:38 am
Sometimes it's a lot easier to figure out the proper contrast by creating some foreground objects like buildings, trees, people or whatever to go with your background objects like grass,. A little helpful tip I've learned about colour is that warms like yellow, red tend to pop out, while blues and purples tend to recede. That's something to keep in mind when you're trying to make your peoples pop out against the background. I forget if saturation means it lacks grey or its full of grey, but more grey makes it duller and thus pops out less.

I mention a lot about making things pop out or make them look like theyre receding. Mainly doing this because you need to keep in mind when making your grass that it isnt what the players eye should be focusing on. A lot of people forget that when making their grass tiles.

I'm also going to quote something Helm said. He put it nicely and it is a great piece of advice that few follow
Do you have a reason to be working with a single tile or did you think 'well I'll just do what everybody else did!'? It seriously pays off to have even another 2 or 3 tiles to work with. Your other tile doesn't suffer from gridage as much, but is it something a player would like to look at for endless repetitions?