AuthorTopic: WIP - Bakuurai V.2  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

WIP - Bakuurai V.2

on: January 14, 2008, 07:57:51 pm

Yes, I know I'm terrible at anatomy.  :-[

But yeah... it's for the PJ weekly challenge, and I'm remaking a Pokemon mix (no parts of the pokemon used, actually) I did a while ago, which happened to be my first submission.
I don't think I've improved much honestly.
Crit anyone?

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: WIP - Bakuurai V.2

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:04 pm
I just wanted to be sure of what is what.

The small version to the right is your old or new version?

I will crit once I'm sure.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:05:19 pm
The small one is my old version. The unfinished outline is my new one.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:09:10 pm
Ok. Well i think you're jumping in at the deep en - thats a pretty large piece to pixel.

I would say double the size of your old sprite and work within those boundaries. Also your new pose itsn't half as dynamic or interesting as the old one.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:31 pm
I understand where you're coming from, but I really need practice with larger pieces, as most of mine just come out looking like oekaki.
Also, whenever I try to make a more dynamic pose, my lack of anatomy skillz gets in the way, causing me to screw it up big time and it takes forever to fix. I do see what you mean, though.
Any suggestions on how to make the pose better without stretching my skill level too much?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:06 pm
It looks like your taking too much of a new approach to this, take what you had originally and remake it by applying what you've learnt. Try doing it more to the scale it was originally, and stick to the character design. having a chiselled human body strays way too far from what I see that first one to be, they look like two different characters.

You say you want to practice with larger pieces but thats not what the challenge is about, its too 're-pixel' your first, not try go off on a tangent.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:24:24 pm
I think you are kidding yourself if you think you NEED to practice pixel pieces this large.

I can only assume you are

1/ trying to build a portfolio:

For a single figure it is simply too big to be of relevant use in a portfolio. Personally I would think at this size you'd be better practicing digital painting. Or draw something and scan it in...

2/ hone artistic skills for the fun of it.

If its pixel art you want to practice then at least half the size. You can practice all pixel skills and techniques on a canvas half this size and it will take you much less time. Plus your much less likely to lose patience and drop the project.

I really don't want to dishearten you but feel strongly that you setting out on the wrong path with this piece. I quite like aspects of your early piece.

Perhaps you should choose a skill which you feel you want to improve and simply improve that piece as far as you can take it. You'll be surprised how much you can learn and improve by doing something like that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:07:28 pm by willfaulds »

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:08 pm
I see.

I actually like this a lot better.  :lol: