AuthorTopic: The legend of Zelda [standing + walk cycle]  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

The legend of Zelda [standing + walk cycle]

on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:31 pm
I'm working on a link walking animation and I need some help to improve it. Thank you  ;D

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: The legend of Zelda [standing + walk cycle]

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:43 pm
For the hair that is moving left and right I don't think you should have it return to the static image, make it swing beyond that and then come back.

kinda like this

Btw I'm not sure which piece of hair would swing when but it looks right to me.

I would edit more but the walk seems to work, and overall it looks right to me.  You could bounce bangs though.  If I had more time I would provide you with a more thought out edit.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:45:20 am
First thing I notice is that his feet dont seem to lift off the ground high enough for it to be a 'forward step', just try walking naturally and notice how high your feet lift from the ground. Otherwise very fluid so far, im sure there's plently more you could do to this animation to add. Look for some walking cycles online, find out about weight distribution in a walk, its not just an bobbing up and down motion. Plus some head movement would make this more natural, he looks dead set on a target atm.

The Sprite could maybe use more contrast, well I'm not totally sure I mean some areas look a tad dull to me.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:20 am
I think it's flattering that you like my art, but next time, please leave a comment in my thread instead of just taking part of my art and copying it onto yours. My thread is just a few under yours, and those are definately the hands I drew.

Try drawing your own hands, it's not good form to copy them off someone else's piece

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:59:49 pm
Thank you Mike and Terley for your advices, I'll take them in consideration.
For the contrast, his clothes will probably be more detailed and contrasted, but i want to finish the animation first.
For the head, I'd want for exemple to animate completely his hair, but i'm not sure how to do it... anyone can give me some advices?
About the weight distribution, i'll take a good look at a book I recently bought (The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams), i bet i'll find some good trick to improve it.  :y:

Oh and Gil, i'm sorry but i didn't copied your art, my sprite is based on a old one I did months and months ago. I totally agree that they look pretty much the same, but that's a coninsidence.  ;) So.. next time, if you have a problem could you send a private message to the person? I'm not mad, but it's kind of anoying to see unfounded accusation in my topic.  :P

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:49 pm
I was being very polite here, but please don't pull the "I made them myself" argument here, the shape and shading is pixel for pixel exact the same. I'm not going to argue over this and I'm not mad or anything, just leave a comment in my thread next time please and everything would be fine.

Thanks for understanding

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:44:50 pm by Gil »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:14:21 am
Asturias that's a pretty far-fetched coincidence. If it was just the shape, sure, only so many ways to make iconic hands in this size. But also the inner aa and so on?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:13:53 am
LOL I don't see the resemblance at all

Whoa...strictly speaking of the animation.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:15:40 am by Mike »