AuthorTopic: Shading Rock - Help Needed  (Read 1957 times)

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Shading Rock - Help Needed

on: September 07, 2015, 08:21:36 pm
I am currently trying to develop a floating island for use in a game, but unfortunately my skill is level is like... 0. So, this piece is sadly hardly pixel "art".
After looking all over the net, I was still unable to find an example to look at to teach myself a little bit more about this kind of rock shading/shaping.

Anyone out there have an example I could look at, or show a small portion of my pic edited as an example on how I should go about creating this island?
(Note: I'm not trying to ask someone to fix the pic for me. What I want is to get some help learning how to do this myself.)

BTW, I know it has no grass/top surface yet. I did that intentionally because I am trying to focus on the rock shading, not the surface right now.

Thanks in advanced everyone,
-TheUnknownVar

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: Shading Rock - Help Needed

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:59:26 pm
Well it's certainly been done before, so references are abound. My first instinct is why so red? If it's indeed floating, there will be a lot of blue (sky) reflecting off of it. The surrounding clouds will also reflect light onto it; a floating rock will be much better lit than the same rock on ground.

Edit: fixed links.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:24:20 am by Joe »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:17:50 pm

This is a pretty good reference from Owl Boy. Your rocks seem a bit too long and look more like wide noodles. Try to make them more like a collection of rounded prisms, a cluster of these

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:56:12 pm
Thanks for the responses guys,

First off I would like to say my rock shading will be a bit more "red" than normal for two reasons... which I probably should have mentioned:
They are from canyon rock that is slightly red and also, the sky background is a sunset.

Thanks for the great examples and tips!
I'll begin adjusting my pic soon!