AuthorTopic: [C+C] Metroid mock up  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Ridley126

• https://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • View Profile
    • James Ridley's Portfolio

[C+C] Metroid mock up

on: February 05, 2015, 07:47:03 pm
Inspired by other video game mock ups I've seen the last few months.

I tried to drew upon various elements of the Metroid games to make it, such a using the Other M/Smash Bros version of Samus, a Fusion style Space Pirate, and looked tried keeping some elements like the door and floor/border pieces within 32x32 tiles.

Feedback is appreciated! :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Metroid mock up

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:25:47 pm
ahh who could resist an edit??

some shady ideas...just kinda messin around

Offline Ridley126

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:49:21 pm
Those changes alone make it so much better! Can't believe I made such obvious mistakes in hindsight. XD

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:20:42 pm
A really Quick edit..

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:59 pm
@ Seiseki: That looks cool but I think it adds too much single-pixel noise detail which competes for attention.
Some smoother kind of details perhaps?

@Ridley126: I would have liked to keep going I was having fund but my gf was breaking my balls to go to bed  :lol:
Didn't have time to say I like your scene though for the most part solid linework and design, definitely worth pushing it further imo  :y:
Curious what software/s ur on just to get an idea of the tools at ur disposal?

Some things I was trying to point out in the edit:
- Be careful to make your sprites pop more than your background (hence I darkened and desaturated background as a quick solution).
- Avoid "banding". You had it pretty hard on her thigh for example (dark grey and dark orange line is a staircase).
- Use your light source to make stronger light and shadow. The alien is pillow shaded which never looks good and flattens him out.
- Avoid single pixel noise to create texture like on the alien, this further flattens the sprite. Instead use variations in light and shade to suggest texture
- Similarly, try to paint over your linework and suggest the textures, then zoom out and look at the overall FORM of the object and how those lines help or don't help describe the form. Samus' linework you have now completely flattens her form so the whole sprite is just BEGGING for more defined rendering.

That door is bugging me too, she'd have to jump to get through because its too small!
Cool design on it but at this higher res and now its 2015 so I think you should experiment with different light-source and rendering options on the door to make it look more awesome.
Another example is those cool tank things you could add a secondary coloured light source (green?) behind to make more interesting rendering.
You could then create more depth in the rear row of tanks by reducing their reaction to the front light source and just make them more respondent to that secondary coloured light.

AAaanyway better get back to coding  :lol:

Offline Ridley126

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:43:38 pm
@Decroded Thanks, I used Pyxel Edit for this, sometimes I use Photoshop too.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely take them all on board! And about the door, the whole height of it is the door, not just the red area, guess the way I did it doesn't make that clear. XD