AuthorTopic: Self Portrait avatar thingy  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Self Portrait avatar thingy

on: March 10, 2007, 09:44:21 pm
 Seeing other people's avatars here inspired me to try and make one for me too, so, here's my shot at it  :P

Used Panda's pallete from his avatar, hope that is ok?

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Re: Self Portrait avatar thingy

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 04:13:56 am
Needs some Anti-Aliasing but that's fine.  ;)
I just don't understand those lighter pixels in the hair shadow ( in pink )
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:21:21 am
Hey there Buggy, nice too see you here :P
Those things are... uhn... things I forgot to erase before resizing the image  :lol:
And I dont know exactly how to AA stuff yet, any Tutos laying around?

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:11:41 am
It seems the nostrils are under the nose rather on the sides :)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:16:07 pm
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 08:15:17 pm
I do believe those tutorials are unsucessful at displaying proper AA technique, they have good ideas but fail but making a some big assumptions, such as the dark gray mspaint color being 50% white/black.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:29:54 pm
yeah i could improve them allot and will but i believe it displays a very basic AA technique to beginners at it... also where did you get "some big assumptions, such as the dark gray mspaint color being 50% white/black." that from? i never mention ms paint once... in fact i don't use ms paint... i don't even have ms paint im on a mac... also i got that gray by using the pencil tool as black on 50% opacity, then eye dropping that colour and using it at 100%

but i will remake them better one day. soon hopefully too... anyways this topic isnt bout the tuts

/back on topic
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:32:04 pm by artisan »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 08:35:34 pm
If anything, making people eye-ball a tone they should AA with instead of using transparent tools is a very good practise to set them on. And certainly not AAing black with 50% black over color. Also the 'standard iso line', the 33.3 degree one, doesn't really need any AAing to speak of most of the time.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 08:41:36 pm
its a good start.

personally i would check out st0ven's AA tutorials, is not all of them:  http://spriteart.com
(check:  http://spriteart.com/tutorials/samurai_st0ven.html  for AA tutorials)

artisan:  could you not have saved them as one file, there pretty much the same thing?  also - that advanced AA circle looks teribble,  and i think if you AA'd green to blue without the black line in between then they would be a lot more useful.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:46:23 pm
very true helm, when i rewrite these ill be sure to take on your advice plus any more you have to give, these were written quite a while ago with the intention of starting super basic and going on to more complicated things such as using different hues and such and then to do other things such as selective outlining. but i never got round to it. as for AAing the 33.3 degree line, not always necessary.. but it is if you want to make your lines smooth there is a big difference sometimes i think... 45 degree lines though.. thats something never to AA.

as for helms points being valid ferons ie the guy down my road who is trying to annoy me... are pointless.... i could have done it in one file... but they all make different points and it would be some long ass image which is hard to sort though.. specially if i had made all the ones i planed for... which in fact include AAing blue to green with no line and AAing a line between two colors is something people may well need especially AAing something onto a background... and yes that circle does look shit... so shoot me? its theory proper practice always needs tweaking by eye (again non existing tut which was planned)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:05:51 pm
If your theory doesn't arrive at meaninful results ( like, good aa for an aa tutorial ) then you're not yet ready to share the wisdom, I think.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:10:23 pm
tute sweet... i spose your right ill try find the place i learned it from in the first place

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 11:48:16 pm
@Ricco: I've already said this to you on the line art exchange topic, but you didn't notice  :)
About the AA stuff, I learned it by seeing other people's sprite, I had no need for a tutorial, I only needed them for more advanced things which I wouldn't figure out by myself... There's a topic where people post their videos of they making sprites which I've learnd a lot, you should take a look.  :lol:
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 12:24:49 am
>>

I do like this, your definately heading in the right direction but what I think you definately need to work on is your AAing.. once you get your head around it I believe the quality of your work will dramatically improve..

I've quickly AAed up here and there using the existing colours, added some extra details  like for instance the nose, the original one just didn't make sense, theres no depth to it and from another angle wouldn't even look like a nose. I reduced the lighting on the cheeks because it tends to look as if your characters cheeks are full, its because lighter shades raise areas off the screen and darker shades pushes it back.

hope this edit helps, tho I know theres a slight colour count issue have a look at how i've AAed areas, it may not be 100% perfect but you should get something out of it hopefully.  :blind:

~Ter
I've not got anything interesting to type here..