AuthorTopic: Pinwheel dreamin'  (Read 11125 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Pinwheel dreamin'

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 08:50:32 pm
Sub pixelling is used for subtle movement. I think Xion had a decent example here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4690.0
Ummm... I'm no good at explaining what it means because I'd only used the technique once or twice.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:16 pm
I agree with the bubble removal.  And I wanna see what I'd look like if the pinwheel were to rotate in the opposite direction when the furball inhales, and then reverse when it exhales, instead of the downtime without pinwheel movement.  Maybe it'd look like shit, but maybe not.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 09:12:08 pm
The thing about pinwheels is that they're constructed to catch air with one and and cut through it with the other. It might move a little when inhaling, but not much at all.

I also vote yes on the bubble removal thing, it doesn't really make sense to me. I know it's a bit of a symbol, and it's supposed to be cute (even though it always ends up disturbing me), but technically, if the breath is making the bubble grow, then most of the breath wouldn't even reach the pinwheel in the first place...

Also, I think the timing on the wheel needs adjusting. The way it just suddenly snaps into full motion then gradually slows down doesn't seem to match the rate and strength of the breathing.

sonic_reaper

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 09:28:09 pm
While we're nitpicking, I've never known anyone (human or otherwise) to be able to hold their eyebrows in a perfectly fixed position while sleeping.  The whole point of sleeping is to relax and recharge your body, so the fact that the muscles are acting to allow the eyebrows to be held like that seems a bit strange to me.  Unless it's some sort of cartoon gimmick.  As Helm already stated though, there's already tons of things going in the animation that just slaps the viewer in the face with the message that THE CAT IS SLEEPING (the "zzz"s, the slow breathing/body movement, the position, the pillow, the bubble, the closed eyes, and so on and so forth).

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:31:41 pm
To go along with Rox's suggestion, I think it would be best if you added more angles to the pinwheel, because even when you slow it down, jumping from 0 to 45 degrees is a bit of a large gap and doesn't show the sense of speed you're wanting.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:20:04 am
update :)

coloured the cat and edited his breathing. will add the pinwheel back in tomorrow and work on how it spins.

-----

While we're nitpicking, I've never known anyone (human or otherwise) to be able to hold their eyebrows in a perfectly fixed position while sleeping.  The whole point of sleeping is to relax and recharge your body, so the fact that the muscles are acting to allow the eyebrows to be held like that seems a bit strange to me.  Unless it's some sort of cartoon gimmick.  As Helm already stated though, there's already tons of things going in the animation that just slaps the viewer in the face with the message that THE CAT IS SLEEPING (the "zzz"s, the slow breathing/body movement, the position, the pillow, the bubble, the closed eyes, and so on and so forth).

I don't think 'correct' eyebrow placement would really add or detract from this. If you wanted to get that technical, cat's dont even have eyebrows. They are there simply b/c it is meant to be cartoony (obviously..since anatomy is chibified). If I moved them down or put them into a more 'relaxed' position it would close the face and make the 'forehead' look huge.

As for all the different things going on in the animation.. A lot of my art is inspired by Korean Pixels, and although what i've put into the animation may seem like a 'bit much' it's quite typical for that style.

(Example, see Toonzoo > Avatars)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:34:20 am by Jericho »
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

sonic_reaper

Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 03:37:39 am
Well then it's a stylistic choice, which I touched on in my post (asking whether it was as such).  Cats do have eyebrows, at least, muscles where they should be that allows their eyes to move as well as close.  And cats of course have whiskers where our eyebrows are.  As well as specific cats having color growth patterns resembling eyebrows.  But that's getting way too in depth.  With regards to the animation, I think it's fine.  I didn't critique the animation so much as just echoing what Helm said.  On a more positive note, I like the lush color choices.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:42:30 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 04:12:28 am
Well then it's a stylistic choice, which I touched on in my post (asking whether it was as such).  Cats do have eyebrows, at least, muscles where they should be that allows their eyes to move as well as close.  And cats of course have whiskers where our eyebrows are.  As well as specific cats having color growth patterns resembling eyebrows.  But that's getting way too in depth.  With regards to the animation, I think it's fine.  I didn't critique the animation so much as just echoing what Helm said.  On a more positive note, I like the lush color choices.

haha well i meant they dont have eyebrows in the sense that we do xD.

And yeah i know you were just reiterating helm :). I just felt the need to explain why i had put so much into it haha

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 04:24:30 pm
anyone else notice there are a few jaggies on the bottom right side of the pillow?

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 04:41:01 pm
anyone else notice there are a few jaggies on the bottom right side of the pillow?

*blink* where?