AuthorTopic: My Second Pixel Art peice (plus my old crappier one)  (Read 5618 times)

Offline jt

• View Profile
First: Zombie.. bad =\

Second:

This is a deahtrobot thing I've been working on for awhile its still a bit of WIP and I'm going to use it as a part of a CD cover project I'm working on.  I think its a bit of an improvement for sure but I'd like some crits so I can make it a bit better

Desert Camo with Red Laser-eyes:

Green Camo with Purple Laser-eyes:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:21:12 pm by jt »

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Re: My First Pixel Art Piece (Zombie)

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:11:45 am
hmm..the tomb stones should be more....exact? i dunno... i dont like the clouds, contrast and dither dont go good together imo. altogether it looks cartooney, and if thats intended, good job. Your selected colors are actually pretty good for a first pixel. good job :D

Offline jt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:39 am
Yeah I see A LOT more problems now  :-[.  And I have a lot to work on heh.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 09:42:32 am
Not ot bad for first )) But yes, more work on this. And maybe for first picture try to paint a one thing? For example - a only zombie.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:48:12 pm
Wel the peice as a whole is kinda hard to read, and it is really really busy for such a small peice. I would rmeove some of the tombstones, and one of the clouds. The grass needs lower saturation. It's alright for a first, jsut keep wokring on it.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline jt

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:47:24 am
Thanks a lot for the input I'm learning a bit.  :)

yosh64

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 04:32:35 am
hey

Firstly, this is quite well done for your first pixel art :).

I made an edit here...

Well I gotta make this really quick for now, but I'll be back later and try to explain better/more.

Basically I tried to better define the lighting, and also added alot more contrast (made the darker shades darker, and lighter shades a tad lighter). I also thought the entire scene was to bright, and made the grass darker, remember it's lit by just moonlight. I also added a shadow for the zombie over the grass.

I thought the moon and the clouds were much to large, so to were the stars to bright, and this ruined the perception of depth of the image. I think they must look like they are very far in the distance ;). I completly changed the clouds, and tried to blend them a bit into the night sky (gave them a purple tint), and I also split the night sky into different shades, to kinda help show the light projected from the moon. Also, you must remember the brighter the scene, the harder it will be to see the stars :).

I also changed the palette a bit, but maybe I will explain this some more later.

Anyhows keep at it :).

and another...
-> -> -> ->
Well I just refined it a little... anyhows I don't think I have anything else to add for now.

cyas
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:42:54 pm by yosh64 »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 10:55:58 am
well I like yoshs edit better but I think it doesn't deal with all problem this piece has.
If you want to make this piece better I would start from scratch with a new lineart. It looks like you either didn't work with having a lineart before you started colouring or as if you didn't really care how well the lineart looks. As a result the forms of everything look distorted and very rough in your picture.
The second problem is the colouring. If you don't want to pic colours with more contrast, you need to use outlines, at the moment the picture is much too busy. the palette is very strange too: You use mostly 3 shades per ramp but in most you have two colours very near each other and the third one being much darker/brighter.
The light is another problem: why is he perfectly bright while the background suggests that its night and the only visible light source is the moon (which is behind him)? Wheres his shadow? Where are the tombstones shadows? and why do you dither between 2 colours when you have a colour that is between them? doing this only adds texture, but it doesnt seem really like you've wanted it to look this way (on his clothes).
So yosh64s edit adds readabilty and cleans up a lot of it, but still the face is too unreadable (imo) and the grass looks too messy too.

This comment was not ment to discourage you, but instead to help you improve. Hope you have a long stay here and learn a lot (like I guess we all do here) :)

Offline jt

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 04:58:35 pm
Thanks for the edit.

I'm working on something a lot more simple and I think it will come out much better I'll probably post it in this thread after I finish it for some crits.

yosh64

Re: My Second Pixel Art peice (plus my old crappier one)

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:50:13 am
hey

Well my first thoughts were that I think you should have the legs/teeth as a different color, maybe silver?

Anyhows that's it for now, might add some more crits or whatever later.

edit
I actually done a couple of edits a little earlier, but I think I will wait until you have made further progress? unless you want me to post now?

Anyhows, I think the light source isn't strong/defined enough, and the laser looks too solid. Hmm, I don't think there is much expression or something, and nothing much to show it's a robot... well it doesn't look functional.

Ohh, and keep at it :).

cya
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:50:32 pm by yosh64 »