AuthorTopic: Sprite vs Background, ongoing battle  (Read 9543 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: Sprite vs Background, ongoing battle

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:37 am
Isn't it a bit inconsistent if the main characters lacks outlines while the BG object has them?

That idle animation is really sweet btw.  :y:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:46:04 pm
i think  a 2 x 2 yo yo would be fine, and to indicate spinning you could have darker shades like so:
frame one
l
  l
frame 2
  l
l

if that makes any sense.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:17:36 am
Thanks for the input on the idle animation, i'll take that all into consideration, but posting such minor edits would be pointless. it's only a few pixels afterall.

Here is an update, including an example of the tileset. I really want some input focusing on the palette with this one. I've been playing around with the colors for ages and cannot find anything i like.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:25 am
 Wow, awesome mock up there man. I think the character fits with it. Good luck on making your game.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:21 pm
The screenshots are taken from the program running in GameMaker, the program which i am also using to code it.

Here is a screenshot of the game running:

I added some background silhouettes, added another color to the tiles and messed around with the palette, i would still really appreciate input on the tiles, btw.  :) And also changed the color of the sky.  Note that the fire on the meteor there is based on 1-color particles, and does not have to do with my pixel art, really, it's just a bunch of randomly generated circles.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 10:46:34 pm
the tiles are VERY busy, and imho don't fit with the character. i think you should look foor something simpler, flatter and less shaded
the meteor fits the character pretty well though, probably because its rather flat colours as wel

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 12:59:07 am
I have to agree that the ground tiles are very distracting. If I were you I'd only show the "ground" about 1 tiles depth, or MAYBE 2 down. You don't want it too deep or it's very distracting. There's something else about the actual way you shaded the ground that seems off. I'm not sure I can think of it offhand.

Oh another point is that the background seems to look very similar to what vedsten was doing in his latest mockup. With the trees and mountains. http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3019.0

Not bad otherwise.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 01:23:12 am
I actually did get the idea for the tree/jungle stills in the back from vedsten's platform mockup, i tried to do my own sort of style with it, but the mountains in the background have been a constant since i started the game weeks ago, mainly because the entire civilization resides inside of a hollow mountain. ( for example: the pod in the first post is a type of dwelling which is suspended inside of the mountain.  ) But yes, when i saw that thread i thought those sort of silhouettes would add more atmosphere.  The game is actually an adventure and exploration game, so there are many various environments, this forest type scene won't be a constant throughout the entire thing.

So far on the tileset i've taken out the highlights to allow it to stay consistent with the character, as well as darkening the purple, i'd post it, but it's a minor change.

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 04:22:18 am
I'm just curious- are you using the fox engine, or one of your own?

Very nice tiles- I will critique them I like to think of tilesets as one of my fortes :P

Simply to make level dsign more simple, and to make the levels seem overall less busy, I would completely ditch the second "interior" tileset, and build it into the first.  This way you can also build in an autotiler (scribble the level, and when the level creates itself, it cretes a tile depending on it's location, then if there are objects surrounding itself on four sides, it deletes itself, sorta thing- I'll send you an example if you like)

The grass, first of all, needs to be darker.  It also needs to hang down over the edges, at the moment it looks like it's mowed.

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/327/tilepng11ku2.png
So that's a rough edit of what I mean.  Edit- broken image, so I posted a link instead.  Hope it works <_<

Also, study some of these, to improve your own

As a game Download the game version of this tileset

yes, some showoff, but I really do think these will help you.

Awesome character and animations, btw!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:27:59 am by fawel »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:05:50 am
 Impressive.  Hwever, the mockup on the bottom is too contrasted too much. I would reduce the contrast. Make the colors less dull by varying the hues. That's all I got, cya.