AuthorTopic: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired  (Read 12488 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired

Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:22 pm
It's not so much that I find this wrong as a practise. I just have nothing to say in terms of critique. Great job, you've achieved your goal. Your piece is virtually indistringuishable from SD3 art. If this is a victory for you, awesome. I just don't have any critique.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:50 pm
Maan, I know everybody here doesn't like edits, but what's with the bad additude all of a sudden.

Please don't disrespect his desicion to make a sprite that would fit in exactly within the SD3 game, you don't have to understand him, just respect it.

Now, what I think is that even if you got the skewed look down, you actually could have made it more original with the pose and so :\ It's a little sad that you tried to get the feet-look down but resorted to making it exactly like the original. That may be me not liking the skewedness of the sprites in that game too.

But hey, you got the look down, good job. Please all of you, don't just resort to bashing him for a pixelat0r-sin. Or whatever. The Adminators decide :0

Peace out you all :D
' _ '

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 09:57:47 pm
Well I think everyone is saying this because it's not just fitting the style, it's nearly like an edit, even if it isn't. There are a lot of sprites in SD3, and they all don't have the same pose. So saying that he's just fitting the style isn't completely true, he's trying to match one specific sprite.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 10:12:56 pm
Well I think everyone is saying this because it's not just fitting the style, it's nearly like an edit, even if it isn't. There are a lot of sprites in SD3, and they all don't have the same pose. So saying that he's just fitting the style isn't completely true, he's trying to match one specific sprite.

Agreed. The different sprites in SD3 are so varied that it'd be much more of a challenge to make an entirely original one that would still fit in.

Wanted to say that but couldn't find the words. Also, it's a suggestion. It'd be über if you did that, spyder :D
' _ '

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 10:18:22 pm
In terms of differences.  Your version's eyes are different from the original-- I'd say your's eyes are better.  The angle of both sprites differ slightly: your version's right arm is more visible and to the side than the original.  The color choice on your version is weak compared to the som sprite, as it as more contrast between the highlights and shadows...I think you should highlight the metal on your's more.  Also, if you want to get technical, the version you made has a wider head....but that said, I prefer the hair on yours over the som one.

In terms of ethics.  Only you truly know the truth to the sprite, and if it's as you say it is, more power to you (make a lot of people look like jerks).  But if you take personal offence to the way you've been "attacked" or w/e, you should try to take it a bit more lightly; this is a critique forum, and it's our job here to jump and point things out.  I personally don't have anything against emulation of style (you could argue that all art is theft), and I feel that there's no better way to learn than copying somebody of higher skill than you, but perhaps with your next pieces, you could experiment and try to discover your own style.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:00 pm
bit of a waste of a topic really - just for one sprite that is nearly a complete clone. 

perhaps if you posted more of your works people would have more to judge you on.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 11:54:50 pm
In terms of differences.  Your version's eyes are different from the original-- I'd say your's eyes are better.  The angle of both sprites differ slightly: your version's right arm is more visible and to the side than the original.  The color choice on your version is weak compared to the som sprite, as it as more contrast between the highlights and shadows...I think you should highlight the metal on your's more.  Also, if you want to get technical, the version you made has a wider head....but that said, I prefer the hair on yours over the som one.

In terms of ethics.  Only you truly know the truth to the sprite, and if it's as you say it is, more power to you (make a lot of people look like jerks).  But if you take personal offence to the way you've been "attacked" or w/e, you should try to take it a bit more lightly; this is a critique forum, and it's our job here to jump and point things out.  I personally don't have anything against emulation of style (you could argue that all art is theft), and I feel that there's no better way to learn than copying somebody of higher skill than you, but perhaps with your next pieces, you could experiment and try to discover your own style.

Thanks for the critique, I'll consider what you said if I get around to making any changes to this...the responses have sort of made me want to discard it.

Yeah, I understand I did get a bit defensive, but it just annoys me when a sprite for which I laid down every pixel individually is written off as an edit. Sort of cheapens the effort, especially since I was straight up and honest about what I was trying to achieve with this one little 21x32 project. Nevertheless, points noted. I'll branch out more with my next sprite and try to get out of my comfort zone.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 12:20:26 am
thats a good attitude.  nobody here will hunt you down and murder you for an edit or inspiration, its just....we really have nothing to offer besides aknowledgement.  we cannot help you explore regions already well mapped. looking forward to something uniquely yours in the future :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 01:26:52 am
I think emulation is fine practice with good benefits, but I think you should take more liberty with the subject matter and not make the actual character so close to an in game one.  This guy has the same personality as Duran.  Now take what you learned doing this and apply it to an original character (no copying poses) that would fit in with SD3.