AuthorTopic: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired  (Read 12487 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: RPG sprite, SD3 inspired

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 10:16:06 pm
There is a difference between "inspired by" and "edited."  Here is a mask of places where your pixel work matches the original sprite exactly (or has been shifted by a single pixel in some instances):

The bulk of the feet were simply copied, but there are clearly areas where the face, leg, and shoulder were not fully edited away from the original either.  Also, the following palette similarities:

1 outline color
4 hair colors
3 base clothing colors
3 skin colors

Your palette differs only in that the original has a block of 4 armor colors, whereas you share that block between armor highlight and belt colors.  From what I have seen around here, sprites "inspired" by other games rarely share exact blocks of pixels or identical palette layouts.

The only reason I am going to all the trouble to point this stuff out is your edit of the sprite has changed it for the worse.  Without understanding the basics of color theory, painting and pixel art, sprite editing will not be able to teach you anything.  Study, practice, and make your own sprites; it is the only way you are going to be able to improve!

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 12:12:08 am
There is a difference between "inspired by" and "edited."  Here is a mask of places where your pixel work matches the original sprite exactly (or has been shifted by a single pixel in some instances):

The bulk of the feet were simply copied, but there are clearly areas where the face, leg, and shoulder were not fully edited away from the original either.  Also, the following palette similarities:

1 outline color
4 hair colors
3 base clothing colors
3 skin colors

Your palette differs only in that the original has a block of 4 armor colors, whereas you share that block between armor highlight and belt colors.  From what I have seen around here, sprites "inspired" by other games rarely share exact blocks of pixels or identical palette layouts.

The only reason I am going to all the trouble to point this stuff out is your edit of the sprite has changed it for the worse.  Without understanding the basics of color theory, painting and pixel art, sprite editing will not be able to teach you anything.  Study, practice, and make your own sprites; it is the only way you are going to be able to improve!

The sprite is not an edit. All that was used was a reference. The ONLY common color is R24B24G24, which is a recurrent shadow color throughout the whole SD3 game and which I used to ensure consistency with other sprites if it were placed on an SD3-esque color set.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 12:18:03 am
which is a recurrent shadow color throughout the whole SD3 game and which I used to ensure consistency with other sprites if it were placed on an SD3-esque color set.

It's amazing to me that you are operating within this mindset.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 02:09:48 am
Is your avatar from a game?

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 07:21:14 am
Is your avatar from a game?

no, its a mockup I made a while back, a GBA version of metal gear solid.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 07:22:39 am
It's amazing to me that you are operating within this mindset.

How so? I set out to make an SD3 sprite. I wasn't looking to win any points for originality with this one, it was just a bit of fun.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 08:10:41 am
How so? I set out to make an SD3 sprite. I wasn't looking to win any points for originality with this one, it was just a bit of fun.
I think he means that with that mindset, you're not going to further yourself. That you should focus on doing more original stuff.

Offline _spyder

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 08:16:40 am
I think he means that with that mindset, you're not going to further yourself. That you should focus on doing more original stuff.

I'd hardly say this one sprite represents everything I've done or intend to do. I've long admired SD3's artwork and simply wanted to pay some homage to it.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:13:12 pm
I'd hardly say this one sprite represents everything I've done or intend to do. I've long admired SD3's artwork and simply wanted to pay some homage to it.

Then draw it- or reinvent the sprites in some way that illustrates more than the semblance of a cheap colour edit.

~ Well, I suppose the greatest form of flattery...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:11:34 pm
I think I have to side with Spyder on this. I mean, like he said, this is hardly going to be all he pixels and I think it's pretty safe to say that this is not the extent of his abilities. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but if he ever gets a job pixelling as a part of a team, I'd think his works would be expected to match the rest of the art rather than be of a completely different quality and stand out. This is just matching the style of sprites done in the actual game, only more closely than usual.
*shrug*