AuthorTopic: [C+C] Acid Sword  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Acid Sword

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 12:16:23 pm
I'll just leave these here.
Skallagrim shares a lot of the same viewpoints as me, and explains my points better than I can.

@Gil: The example you showed is a machete, not a sword. machetes are short and bulky for chopping purposes. A sword is thin, lengthy and versatile. The length of the sword in relation to the width makes it a "paddle" sword. Its bulky and overweight. I treated the sword as a normal long sword. That is why the blade is thinner, and the top would have more of a chopping weight to it.
My design is more related to real medieval swords.
the design is basically a hybrid of a Nepalese kora and hook sword.
Not even axes have blades that bulky, and they offer much more leverage. The largest axe ever used was the Dane axe, used by the anglo-saxon huscarls. The axe weighed up to 1kg to 2kgs which is very heavy for a weapon. Also, a sword as thick as the one I drew is not fragile, and I think 1000 years of human war and history has proven that. I agree with you though that art and realism should be seperate, but I just appreciate when I see people actually make an effort to study into real techniques, the history of why something is, and practicality/functionality of a thing. A good example of this is female armor. I absolutely HATE fantasy female armor designs that are practically small clothes.  It provides no use in combat at all. It's gimmicky and kind of creepy I think. There are tons of people who would disagree with me because its "fantasy." however. Armor is supposed to save your life by protecting vital organs, not expose your body to the enemy. Why is the same concept not applied with weapons in video games? Monster hunter happens to be one of my favorite games, with some of my favorite weapon designs. Its not functional or practical at all but its fun. However, I only suggested my design in terms of a more functional design to real life standards. Also realistic combat in video games can be pretty fun. If you have ever played dying light, or mount and blade, they are pretty good examples of realistic combat done well. Obviously you shouldn't get too realistic in a video game because then it just becomes dull.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:51:06 pm by Roach »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 12:45:28 pm
Skallagrim shares a lot of the same viewpoints as me, and explains my points better than I can.
Maybe we could open a thread about it, but while I love videos from Skallagrim, I disagree with those ones. Like I said, I'm a sword buff and I too hate it when someone lifts a claymore in a movie and it looks like it weighs a ton, or when Americans call Japanese swords "samurai swords" or whatever. Fantasy weapons are a different beast however, especially depending on the medium. As a sports trainer, I too notice that in a fighting game characters will jump several feet into the air, without the proper movement to support it. Their stances are wrong, the swords are too big, but it works. It looks incredulous as that's the look they are going for. THIS MAN WIELDS A TREE AND THIS ONE HAS BICEPS THAT COULD POKE HIS EYES OUT, NOW FIGHT! For general fantasy, it can get quite grating. Live action movies have to tone down their props a lot and stay more towards the believable for example, unless they heavily stylize, like, say, 300. When I watch 300, I will notice certain things other people won't, like the fact that for all their talk of keeping the shield wall intact, everyone just throws away their shield and starts running around like rabbits whenever the fighting starts, for no reason. It doesn't bother me however, as that makes for a better movie.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 12:54:40 pm
 ;D Yeah fantasy should be fun, but I just have a large respect for European martial arts. It's pretty much where most of my inspiration for art comes from so I try to defend it :.( im kind of sad.
Edit: also I apologize if I have offended anyone in anyway, I dont mean any harm in what I say, or in my actions. I'm just expressing my views.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:01:57 pm by Roach »

Offline mtheterminator

• The Big Cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 04:03:23 pm
Walk away for the night, wake up the next morning to fantasy stylizing versus realism war, and I'm new. :o

Anyway roach I appreciate the viewpoint on the sword design, although I just want you to know that I was going for a Buster Sword type size for this one. I didn't do any sort of research before drawing this and  as for the shape, well, let's just say that I messed up on the tip of the sword XD.

Now that I look at it, the rounded axe shape is kind of off and the curved tip is definitely slightly wonky.
Anyway, Thanks for the suggestions and critiquing!
A wise man once said, "The faintest ink is more powerful than the sharpest memory".

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:25 pm
also I apologize if I have offended anyone in anyway
We're just passionate about this stuff, it's all good man :D

And I do understand where you're coming from, European martial arts is waaaaay underrated :)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:29 pm
yeah, what Gil said, Roach.  I wasn't tryin to flame you and your opinion is of course just as valid.

Only problem I had with your opinion is that I didn't think it was right to let your artistic approach be reasoning for why mtheterminator's was wrong.  For example, he's creating a fantasy sword, so why is it even relevant or him to consider more realism than is intended? 
-----

anyhooslez, I tried an edit.  Basically only took a stab (ba dum tss) at colors and shading improvements.  I tried to do a glass like effect but didn't turn out as I planned lol.  Maybe looking at a reference would be helpful.

(edit, took a stab [ba dum tss] at glass)

I hope you're having fun, and congrats on your first pixel piece being 100x better than mine lol  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:57:38 pm by Friend »