AuthorTopic: [Rk] - Peter Pan  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

[Rk] - Peter Pan

on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:29 pm
I made This peter pan and i would like your opinion about it..
his pose i sketched first like some previous tips people gave me.
It's quite my decent work i should say so far

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Re: [Rk] - Peter Pan

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:08 pm
Getting better i think. Subtract the dither.  You have enough colours to ramp.

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:37 pm
Getting better i think. Subtract the dither.  You have enough colours to ramp.

You mean remove all dithering and use the colors

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:12 pm
I see a ton of WIP from you recently, makes it hard for me to want to offer any C&C because it looks like you never finish anything.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:02 pm
I see a ton of WIP from you recently, makes it hard for me to want to offer any C&C because it looks like you never finish anything.

actually i am working on them but if you don't want to give c+c it's fine with me

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:59 pm
Even so, if you have five or six pieces and are working on them all at once you'll never give anything your all.  He's right.

Not much to say about the art besides it looks better with the outlines.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:15:03 am
Did a quick edit in paint, new pc and not installed anything else yet.

(edit - just tweaked the eyes)

I don't think there's anything wrong with black outlines, it just needs to be well used as part of a decent palette instead of restricting linework, sometimes you need good levels of contrast. Well just a personal preference especially for a character like this. I don't think there's anything vitally wrong with this palette, but a lot of colours are going nowhere fast. Try to limit to using colours only when it's honestly needed, zoom out, does it make a difference? I've tried my best to make the most of what colours I can here, I hope it's a good example of how some colours can be mixed and matched in places you wouldn't usually expect, it helps keep the colour count down and can put some added interest to some areas.

First off I worked from the far left version to clean up some linework, I moved the head left slightly so its more in line with the body. Rounded off those shoulders a tad, what is Peter Pan like 10 or something, children don't have such square shoulders imo. The legs seemed too far apart to me, some nitpicking but the foot on the right seems too long for the angle and the left leg to me looks like it should be more relaxed to match the pose. I got the impression that he's mid-flight.. Floating all relaxed like..

There's more that seems off about the arm anatomy but to not get too far ahead of myself I just went ahead and smoothed it all off. Well mostly all this character, Peter pan's a child, work toward softer features.

Dithering doesn't work if you plonk it everywhere, I'd even consider taking it off my edit, I just wanted some texture into his top for variation. It's a technique that can really be useful blending shades and tricking the eye but don't rely on it, using it everywhere defies it's purpose which is to help smooth or deliberatly add texture.

Some good improvement all in all, just keep your palette in mind your colours aren't bad just don't be afraid to put in some contrast in here without feeling the need to add so many more colours to compromise.

It's great your sketching more   :y: ;)

[/EDIT] Oh yeah and I agree it seems like you've got a lot of pieces on your hands at the minute, I understand some people like to dabble in more than one thing but it may be better to combine it into one thread like a dump. People do it all the time and it's easier for everyone, plus you'll get some great general art critique as well as on specific pieces. Just a thought [EDIT]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:10:18 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:01:29 am
Did a quick edit in paint, new pc and not installed anything else yet.

I don't think there's anything wrong with black outlines, it just needs to be well used as part of a decent palette instead of restricting linework, sometimes you need good levels of contrast. Well just a personal preference especially for a character like this. I don't think there's anything vitally wrong with this palette, but a lot of colours are going nowhere fast. Try to limit to using colours only when it's honestly needed, zoom out, does it make a difference? I've tried my best to make the most of what colours I can here, I hope it's a good example of how some colours can be mixed and matched in places you wouldn't usually expect, it helps keep the colour count down and can put some added interest to some areas.

First off I worked from the far left version to clean up some linework, I moved the head left slightly so its more in line with the body. Rounded off those shoulders a tad, what is Peter Pan like 10 or something, children don't have such square shoulders imo. The legs seemed too far apart to me, some nitpicking but the foot on the right seems too long for the angle and the left leg to me looks like it should be more relaxed to match the pose. I got the impression that he's mid-flight.. Floating all relaxed like..

There's more that seems off about the arm anatomy but to not get too far ahead of myself I just went ahead and smoothed it all off. Well mostly all this character, Peter pan's a child, work toward softer features.

Dithering doesn't work if you plonk it everywhere, I'd even consider taking it off my edit, I just wanted some texture into his top for variation. It's a technique that can really be useful blending shades and tricking the eye but don't rely on it, using it everywhere defies it's purpose which is to help smooth or deliberatly add texture.

Some good improvement all in all, just keep your palette in mind your colours aren't bad just don't be afraid to put in some contrast in here without feeling the need to add so many more colours to compromise.

It's great your sketching more   :y: ;)

[/EDIT] Oh yeah and I agree it seems like you've got a lot of pieces on your hands at the minute, I understand some people like to dabble in more than one thing but it may be better to combine it into one thread like a dump. People do it all the time and it's easier for everyone, plus you'll get some great general art critique as well as on specific pieces. Just a thought [EDIT]

I really liked your edit it looks 100% better but like i said ima still learning..
ill now study you shadings and everything..
I liked the face alot but it seems like one eye is weird to me
over all great job i hope to get this good once :)
Thanks again for the help!

Btw I don't know should i do him again with some techniques u used or use it on the next sprite.?
because u've made it like "Perfect"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:07:23 am by Rollerkingdom »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:06:57 am
Well I just tried a different approach more than anything sometimes a second perspective on something can really help, thanks glad it helps atall.

Yeah   ;), was a bit rushed one eyebrow is down but I suppose does look a bit skew-wiff.

[Edit]

Btw I don't know should i do him again with some techniques u used or use it on the next sprite.?

It's all in your hands, just keep in mind what I've said (you may not even agree with me). Tbh im more interested in your progress as an artist, whether you feel you want to improve or re-do this specific image is all down to you. Just keep at it, im sure you can take this beyond my edit if you worked at it, the sky's the limit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:21:05 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:29:13 am
Well I just tried a different approach more than anything sometimes a second perspective on something can really help, thanks glad it helps atall.

Yeah   ;), was a bit rushed one eyebrow is down but I suppose does look a bit skew-wiff.

[Edit]

It's all in your hands, just keep in mind what I've said (you may not even agree with me). Tbh im more interested in your progress as an artist, whether you feel you want to improve or re-do this specific image is all down to you. Just keep at it, im sure you can take this beyond my edit if you worked at it, the sky's the limit.

Thanks Ill create a sketch of another sprite tomorrow and try to apply all these terms you've used and taught me..
i hope that the anatomy won't look that ugly because that is what i am mostly tripping i suppose..?