AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C + C] Dude with Pizza  (Read 3356 times)

Offline CapnBear

• View Profile

[WIP] [C + C] Dude with Pizza

on: December 12, 2012, 02:00:52 am
Hey guys, I've done pixel art for a while, mostly just here and there. I want to start doing it a lot more often and get a lot better at it, so I could use some critique. I really have not created anything in a very long time.
Today, I made a picture of a friend of mine,

(please excuse the lack of transparency)
and here it is 4x:
http://i.imgur.com/j5AoU.png

Reference:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/44768_365604180203163_1067295760_n.jpg

I feel like a lot of work needs to be done, as I'm not to happy with the outcome. So I could use some help.
I plan to even go into doing a simple animation for this. (Pizza dripping, him noticing, and pulling it back up. Maybe even add breathing/idle movement?)

Anyway comments and critique for this heavily wanted. Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:37:59 am by CapnBear »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C + C] Dude with Pizza

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:51 pm
Yello!

Good picture, not so good colors. Try tweaking the palette. Pure greys will suck the soul out of any piece!

EDIT: Oh, and banding issues. Most noticable between the neck and the hoodie.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:56:58 pm by ErekT »

Offline CapnBear

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:27 pm
Alright, changed the palette, tweaked a few things, and tried to avoid banding.

NEW:            OLD:

I think i need to fix a few things (maybe angle of the pizza, right arm/shoulder.

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:37 pm
The new change is pretty good I really like the dither. I think maybe just give the right arm a little more bend to it. The pose looks a little unnatural unless he is feeding a dog or something.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:31 am

I think you'd be best off picking colors with more value contrast -- some hue contrast is always nice too.  I would try defining the volumes of the face would be beneficial in describing your friend's apparent chubbiness more, which I touched upon a bit in my edit.  The dithering works fine with low contrast, but becomes noise with any reasonable spread of color value, hence I got rid of it.  The hair could use better definition, but I didn't have time to touch on that.  Finally, you're using far more colors than you need -- you have 38, I cut down to 16 easily, and I think my final result was at 14.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 01:22:51 am
Naw, I know what this needs.

The 3/4 head, if it is, doesn't look much like one. You don't make a 3/4 head by drawing the frontal face and pushing it (or the nose) to the side a bit. Constructing the head and facial features out of those old 3-D shapes (spheres, cubes, cones, cylinders) makes it easier to add real tilts and angles like this, and shade it too. While I pretty much winged it here I might do a breakdown of this pretty soon.

The palette came about by tweaking, seeing if one color is too similar to another to get rid of it, combining 1 color with another from one of 2 different "ramps", those kinds of things. No straight value ramps and, ErekT's point, no greys.

Arm holding pizza seems uncomfortable, and does not provide a very good silhouette for the pose. There's a thing called negative space, the spaces between limbs and details that makes a pose more readable. Try lifting that arm up a bit, maybe even give some space between the left arm and jacket. (EDIT: Lifted the arm up.) Also, simplified pizza drippings.

Ashbad, you have a good point about contrast but your own palette chosen for the skin particularly, is a bit backwards. (With no other influences and non-diffused lightsource) the middle tone would be red and saturated, not the core shadow. The opposite gives the impression of colors selected randomly. Also, speculars are never directly on the side of a round object unless the lightsource is starting to go behind the object, which the shadow on all versions of this piece do not suggest. This applies for the original image as well--note the saturated skin tones (except around the chin) and location of the speculars in the edit.

Hope this helps, wanna see where this goes.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:50:10 pm by pistachio »

Offline CapnBear

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:54 pm

NEW:            OLD:

So this is my current progress (before seeing pistachio's comment, which raised a lot of good points.) I plan to change a lot more, after seeing new tips and ideas. The arm holding the pizza still looks a bit wonky (as does the pizza, i actually finished this last night and was really tired.)
But so far, I cut down on a lot of colors, added more contrast fixed some linework, and tweaked a few other areas. It obviously still needs work, but I think I'm taking steps in the right direction. I tried changing the pose, but am not really liking it a whole lot. Pistachio's comment really helped me see a lot that could be changed, and make it look a lot nicer.