AuthorTopic: My very first fighter sprite.  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

My very first fighter sprite.

on: March 23, 2007, 10:31:28 pm

I was browsing Tsugumo's Tutorials the other day and was really impressed by all the fighter sprite content.  I also realized I had never actually tried making one, so here he is.  I call him Warrick.  I might polish this up and do a few more little animations for fun, it was a blast working on.   

I decided to make a portrait for him too... Choose yer fighter!

-Fry

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: My very first fighter sprite.

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:39 am
Contrary to what Tsu says, you shouldn't make the feet end up in the same places, it's confusing to read...

Nice so far! More! :crazy:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:01:14 am
Reminded me of the duder in the lower left. From an old educational cartoon series :D

What's with the strange aa on the boots, does not really make sense to me. And I agree that the leg positions should have a bit more variation in positioning to read better.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:20:34 am
Haha, wow... That dude could kick Warrick's ass... educationally!

The boots have been a work in progress, I originally had them a black and white combo, which looked really distracting... I don't know why I left the lighter tones that were in there on the outline.  The whole thing needs an AA makeover once I get the chance... I'm getting pixel ADD though, instead of polishing the sprite off I had the urge to make a goofy portrait of his ugly mug instead.

I'll have to take a closer look at the leg positions and grab some more reference.  I based this off of a run cycle I had to do last semester, I had a few leg issues back then too.

-Fry

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 05:33:56 am
Reminded me of the duder in the lower left. From an old educational cartoon series :D

What's with the strange aa on the boots, does not really make sense to me. And I agree that the leg positions should have a bit more variation in positioning to read better.

wow that brings me back the memories.
Great charecter fry  :y:

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 06:00:38 pm
Nice character=) Rude and mean. Just like me=))

Run is a mess though - try not to place feet and hands in the same spot where was another foot/hand  a moment ago - it'll prevents from heavy duty blinking effect.
Also two more frames will ease reading  - foot/hand traveled too fast from one upper point to anoter,  they're not making a complete path for the viewer, and simply replace each other. I could make an edit to illustrate it  but it's going to be - and i mean it - very rough, i don't have a right tool on this computer. Let me know if you need one.=)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 06:59:15 pm
I would really appreciate it if you could do a rough edit Fool, I really dig your animations and i'm sure I could learn a lot. 

I'm pretty sure I understand what is wrong with it from what you said, but I think I could learn a lot more by seeing how you would go about fixing it.

Thanks,

-Fry

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:54:51 pm
Ok, here is an edit (rough, as I promise=)) and perhaps required major cleaning before the final judgment) but here it is:

The color dots mean if you plan your spacing right you should be able to see it's path without jumping/blinking. Same is true for each joint/end point.
In this edit some ghosts parts still appears, but graphicsgale is a disaster for me -  use my old notebook (133 mhz, 32 mem - cant even say how fast he's running in fact.=))

Also, on aggressive run like that - wide travel path - you might consider  adding another pair of frames and lower delay time to keep overall speed.=)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:58:28 am by Fool »

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 06:50:38 pm
Awesome! thanks Fool.  The legs are a huge noticeable improvement and don't look like they are just randomly flailing back and forth.  The arm movement looks a little less frantic then I had originally intended, but it also looks like a more realistic pace and the lack of major ghosting sure is nice.  I'm going do do some major revisions based on your edit and hopefully have a clean and polished run cycle later today.

I think i'm also gonna work on a a battle stance animation, just cause it sounds fun. :P   

Thanks so much for the edit Fool. 

-Fry

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 07:17:16 pm
No biggy, it was sort of educational for me too=)
Talking of which  :P a few sudggestion on light source for the  portrait as well.