AuthorTopic: Cel Shading Practice  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Cel Shading Practice

on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:03 am

Trying for that super hard shading style you see in games like Killer 7, where there's only the color and the shadow, with the light source radiating out from the muzzle flash.

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Re: Cel Shading Practice

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:06 am
Looks pretty good, I guess he is firing his gun, but what is hapening to his left eye (right on the image)? Why the second white blast? What's that thing on his head, a large bowler hat? Why is he gripping it, would anyone do this while firing a weapon? Maybe it's very windy? Those are the questions I asked myself.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:17 pm
Looks pretty good, I guess he is firing his gun, but what is hapening to his left eye (right on the image)? Why the second white blast? What's that thing on his head, a large bowler hat? Why is he gripping it, would anyone do this while firing a weapon? Maybe it's very windy? Those are the questions I asked myself.

The answer to all of those and more is "Dumb action shot, dumb action shot, and dumb action shot."

But in reality, his hair is white and completely covering his eyes, the hat is a fedora like one you would see on a detective in a noir film, he's gripping it because dumb action shot, and the only justification I have aside from that is that in the context of the shot, he's shooting out a light and is pulling his hat down to block his eyes from the resulting flash.

jun

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 04:05:01 am
I think doing anatomy studies will help you a lot. There are some glaring issues (Arms look too short, etc)

You should buy a nice starter book. Loomis is a good option. There are plenty of free resources out there, like proko, just gotta look for them. 
Remember, Pixelart is 90% art and 10% pixel tech.

But you're in the right track! Keep going :y:

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:37:44 pm
I think doing anatomy studies will help you a lot. There are some glaring issues (Arms look too short, etc)

You should buy a nice starter book. Loomis is a good option. There are plenty of free resources out there, like proko, just gotta look for them. 
Remember, Pixelart is 90% art and 10% pixel tech.

But you're in the right track! Keep going :y:

I've been working on anatomy and proportions quite a bit recently.  Glad to see I still forget half the time :p.  I'll keep working at that kind of stuff.

Otherwise lengthened the arm a bit and darkened the back of his coat because there was no reason for it to be lit.