AuthorTopic: This was fun to make  (Read 9686 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

This was fun to make

on: December 10, 2008, 01:45:04 pm

Edit: oh yeah, so was this.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:52:37 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: This was fun to make

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:32 pm
Cool character! Though, I can't really tell; is his hair two colors, or is he wearing a bandana?

As far as technique goes, everything looks pretty great, except for the spinning motion right before the downward slash. I somehow feel like the power of the motion is diminished. Perhaps it doesn't look weighty enough?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:52:39 pm
Probably due to the quickness of the downward slash, and the small amount of dust coming up after it. I think the last slash of the combo should be the most powerful, and therefore, probably take the longest to execute / has the weightiest hit. And right now, it has no sense of weight. I understand that it's his hand, and not a 200-pound Great Sword, but still, there'd be a little anticipation for the last hit.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:58:58 pm by Dr D »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:29:31 pm
yours:

Edit:

I didn't have too much time to spend on it - so this is only a rough start to show you the general direction you should take.  I didn't add anything, I only moved around the stuff that was already there.  The most important thing to notice is you've got all the main motions down, but you completely forget the follow-through.  The body has to compensate for the momentum right after such major movements.  Also, within the 'swishes' I took out a couple frames that were bogging down the flow.

Ben2theEdghe can probably give you a more depthy analysis of this stuff.  I suck at explaining animation.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:36:18 pm by Indigo »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:18 pm
One thing I'm noticing is the feet look like they are stepping on uneven ground.
It's a neat character and combo, I think the twist might need another frame maybe.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:47:30 pm
Indigo- whoa, I didn't know such a simple edit could make so much of a difference. I tried to replicate what you did.

Offline GBPaxton

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:44 pm
The big-hand swipe, I feel, still needs to have more impact (either being overall faster, or doing a slooowfast thing). This is quite wonderful ^_^

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:23 pm
Its actually a throw. So just imagine that when he spins he's grabbing a guy then the big swipe is throwing them.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:04:31 pm
If so, I suggest you make the wind-up even slower and smoother to really add impact to the throw!

Also: great improvement from your last one, I'd say! It's good that you keep evolving even if you're staying within your comfort zone!
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:23 am

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:01:00 am
The quote of my last post got deleted.  :-\
So I may as well point it out.

There are frames where the feet are planted on the same ground level, and then others where the foot is two pixels off the ground?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:02:37 am by Souly »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:42 am
got it

consistency get!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:21:13 pm
there is something troubling me with the large right-hand strike.

He's giving a huge claws strike, yeah ? but then if i'm doing such a move, i would have the *palm* of my hand pointing outwards when the hand is big on your animation (rather than the back of the hand), with the claws pointing backwards, so that when i'm just "releasing" the strike, i do a wrist movement and have the maximum speed on the claws for maximum damage.

That should be obvious on any picture of a cat ready to do a claws attack, and if you think about it, it will be the same than a tennis player doing a shot.

HTH.
That's otherwise a stunning animation.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 06:26:20 pm
in all honesty, I think the extra crouch-pause you added distracts greatly from the animation

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:47:59 pm
HEY there....you remind me of me when I had more fun with pixelart. this does look like a lot of fun...I hope you keep it up, hope you escalate it into a full spriteset of a completely playable sprite just WAITING for someone to programe him  :crazy: I can relate with your luuuv for motion blurs...I see you're starting to tell the little nuances that make each motion blur different..fun isnt it? =o

The connection between the hand swipe and the previous dont link AT ALL and that is only excusable in a game, there's  no game engine here to stop your animation  from flowing perfectly. You seem to be getting lazy at the points where each move links with eachother....how can you justify frame 22-23? I mean you just flipped the dude :p. Dont understimate that stuff, it can be really fun to animate your character spinning around on the air...or making his limbs bigger...You have a guy who has the special ability of making his limbs bigger, dont WASTE that! you can have fun making things grow slowly between each attack, making him shift weight as he adjusts to his growing parts.

Now, for the actual way you structured your anims...you seem to atleast instinctually know about anticipations and overshots...which is what your character does before and after the action, respectively. Problem is you're kinda doing them the opposite way of how they're supposed to go.

Your anticipations (frames 1,2,3) have the character slowly inching toward the action...that's not really the point, you're supposed to show the character building tension and impulse, I actually think it would be a LOT better if he slowly moved the opposite direction of the attack...think of any metalhead before he bangs his head in...he's inching backwards.

You also rushed those inmaterial jaws closing in, you can barely see that they're jaws at all...let them lay open for a couple of frames or two and then gnaw down.

Now for the actual action, the idea in extreme fast and forceful moves moves like these is to pace things so you see how the movement starts and how it ends but very NOT of what goes on in the middle. That gives a great sense of acceleration, of exponential growth. Think of the golden ratio, think of the fibonacci spiral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fibonacci_spiral_34.svg see how each section is much bigger than the last? that is the feeling you're trying to go for.

The motion blurs are only meant to bridge between the beggining and the end, so there is really no point to them in frame 12-13, where the claw actually covers very little space. I know it's become kind of customary to use them as a symbol for slashing but if you just waste them on inbetween frames it doesnt even look like you know they symbolize slashing, it looks like you dont know their function.

Your overshots (frames 15-18), much like your anticipation are built in reverse..again, the idea is that the force of the movement was so much the character loses a little control because of it, so after the big swoosh disappears, he's trying to regain the pose he's supposed to have....it shouldnt be inching forwards continuing the path of the movement, it should be inching BACKWARDS.

The part where his hand becomes a big heavy metal hand is probably the weakest in the whole thing, since the whole point of the motion is that his hand is really heavy and clunky, but you cant feel the weight to it AT ALL. I see you were going for a diferent kind of motion blur that distorts the form a little less and just stretches the form...but it doesnt really work.

That was some clever stuff at the last slash where he's skipping on his foot...obviously not a good fight tactique but it looks pretty cool...gives him some character :p

Might join the fun and post an edit later  ;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:58:24 pm by Conceit »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:37:02 pm
That was... thorough. But anyway, I think I've nearly fixed most of it.

Before you tell me the spinning flip is impractical, just think: if you could do that, would you?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:31:08 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:18 am
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:50:14 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:44 pm
Conceit gave me some help.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 12:20:05 am
Very good, just one little thing that bothers me, though.

After the large hand swipe, I see his head facing the opposite way for a split second before the final slash/throw part of the combo.

It bothers me.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:34 pm

and his first special

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 08:04:16 pm
If his normal attacks are a giant bite and humongous claw, this is not a very rewarding special. Shouldn't the drill be three times as big to truly be 'special' relative to the rest?
Besides that it would be nicer to have him push the drill rather than just put it in place. Create tension and effort to pierce in the animation, so it will look convincing when applied to an enemy or wall or whatever.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 10:09:42 pm
Shouldn't the drill be three times as big to truly be 'special' relative to the rest?
all in good time.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 05:44:33 pm
Why have I never seen this thread until now??  I like what you have here so far. ;D  You have done a great job with the after image blurs.  I do have one question though.  Are frames 23-24 attack frames?  If not I think you should make that animation push enemies in front of you a great deal, so that way the final attack in the combo is sure to hit them.  Keep up the great work! 

*Edit...just reread the entire thread again, and I guess I failed to comprehend that frames 23-24 are a grab to throw combo.  That is what I was originally going to suggest but it seems it was in vain and that you are already on top of it.  Good show.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:28:39 pm by Mike »