AuthorTopic: Combat animations  (Read 4142 times)

Offline freshmeat

• View Profile

Combat animations

on: May 08, 2013, 06:35:43 pm
Hello everyone,

(Quick Intro to understand my situation)
I'm a student in an engineering school and we need to create a game as our "end of the year project". I choose pixel art as I saw the numerous guides and tutorials online, moreover choose a pokemon like game. The characters I made really have no details they are just plain simple, and I'm good with that. However I need to work on animarions (walk, die, drink and attack).
So far, I've done that walking animation part. here's what I got:

And I can't figure out how to make him attack (with a sword)... I don't want to make it hard, just 1 or 2 image to see that he attacks, nothing to complicated. But, from my point of view, I'm a bit lost. If someone could lead me the way, that would be very nice...

Here's some other images I made:

Thank you

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Combat animations

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:21 pm
Hey, what you have now is a bit odd with the mixed-resolution stuff, there doesn't seem to be any logic to it; I'd start by choosing your sprite/tile size; 16px is pretty standard, is what Pokemon games used to be in.

For the animation: at least give it a go yourself first, there's tons of Zelda sprites you could reference (often the sword is a separate sprite, if that was throwing you) you can be really rough; just lines or flat colours to get the motion working, might be easier planning it out on paper even.

Offline freshmeat

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:46 pm
Oh thanks a lot for the link, I'll try getting some inspiration from that. I just had trouble seeing where would the legs go, if I need to add more frames or anything like so.
As for the resolution, I won't be able to change it, but I'll adapt those Zelda animation for mine. I'll post my result here.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:14:10 pm
What I'm kind of confused about are the sizes of the pixels. for the head you have used small pixels of which the outline hasn't really been cleaned up, but for the body you have pixels that are twice the size.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Suptapong

• Dandelions tickle my fancy.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:51:39 pm
Tried to touch-up your little dude for you, try to stay with only one pixel size, dont vary, it gives you a cleaner look  :y:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:31:25 pm by Crow »
ay gurl u a carpenter?

cuz I got some hardwood that needs sanding