AuthorTopic: Looking for tutorials for 2D/3D sprites (aka cyclindrical billboards)  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Dr. Spankenstein

• Comprises 99.9% noob and 0.01% luck
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

Is was wondering if anyone here knows of some good resources for faux 3D sprites.

The type of sprites I'm interested in are the kind used for games such as Wolfenstein and Doom where they look 3D and change depending on the viewing angle.

Thank you.

Offline Cow

• View Profile
Neither of those games used cylindrical billboards, the basic idea is that both of those engines utilized raycasting to create the pseudo 3d environment and used traditional sprite rendering (scaled by the distance from the player) for the enemies. There are 8 directions for all enemy animations, and the engine compares the direction of an imaginary line from the camera's position to the enemy's position with the direction the enemy is facing, rounded to the nearest 45 degrees, to determine which sprite angle is shown.

I've been looking into this for a couple months because I also really like the look and feel of these games, but making all these images by hand is a lot of work. Once actual 3d rendering became the norm it saved artists a lot of time and sanity. Your best bet when making these kind of sprites is to use a 3d modeling program to at least block everything out for the directions and keyframes and then pixel over top of those. The Doom artist, Adrian Carmack, used photos of clay models as bases for his sprites, which (despite sounding like a lot of fun) is probably only due to the technological limitations at the time.

Do you have any specific questions?

Offline Dr. Spankenstein

• View Profile
Thanks for the detailed info.   :)

A couple of questions have sprung to mind.  

How would you suggest setting up the modelling software for pixelling?  

Should I be using voxels?  If so, what editors can you recommend for voxel based work?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:44:03 pm by Dr. Spankenstein »

Offline Cow

• View Profile
Sorry for not being clear, I don't mean to pixel in 3d space, I mean to use screen captures of a 3d model that you would make as basis for your sprites. This ensures consistency of volume and gives you a strong base to work off of when pixeling. It would likely involve learning some new skills but it's worth it if you decide to make a project with these sprites. I would likely create a low poly model and variations for the major keyframes, and use scaled down screen captures of these for the bases of your sprites. Of course you would go on to add details and animation inbetweens on your own in whichever pixel program.

As far as your last question goes, voxels as they are right now probably aren't to be taken seriously, despite some cool experiments such as Voxelstein 3d.

Offline Dr. Spankenstein

• View Profile
That game has kept me entertained all morning, thanks.  ;D

I've found a programme called Paint3D.  It seems it can export models and I can create 16x16x16 3D sprites which can be viewed from any angle.   :y: