AuthorTopic: Young artist looking for feedback / guidance  (Read 2969 times)

Offline grungla

• View Profile

Young artist looking for feedback / guidance

on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:43 pm
Hey everyone,

I'm working on this game project with a friend and I started to make some tile assets to use in the project, but what I made doesn't stylistically look the same as these grass / dirt / tiles we have.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:36:45 pm by grungla »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Young artist looking for feedback / guidance

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:49 pm
I'd say the biggest difference is the amount of texture, or noise you have on your work, in comparison to your friend's work.

Look for ways to simplify the volumes and shapes on your tiles, and then she how can fit them to match your friends take on it.

one thing, in terms of color is, you'll notice your friend doesn't that much contrast on the same material. sure the water contrasts with the dirt, but the dirt elements don't contrast that much with each other, which makes them look flatter. there's still texture, but it feels simple.
on your textures you have black with almost white pretty close together. that just makes it a very different approach in coloring.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline grungla

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:50:23 pm
thanks kazuya, good points i'll try working on that today

Offline Cruckz

• Cruckz
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:50 pm
Hey man you have some really nice looking tiles there especially the cave ones   ;D don't knock yourself, just keep on at it like kazuya says the friends is much simpler and a little more flat and then imo the edges of the cliff way too contrasty. it takes a little time working on art within a team and helps to set guidelines and rule such as only using so many colours (outline colours that will be prevalent in the game, and how many different ones used on one tile set) or contrast to a certain range. Like i said keep at it syncing up takes time  :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:30:39 am
Hey everyone,

I'm working on this game project with a friend and I started to make some tile assets to use in the project, but what I made doesn't stylistically look the same as these grass / dirt / tiles we have.
I cant see any images

Offline Cruckz

• Cruckz
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:57:15 pm
Looks like they've been removed