AuthorTopic: Cityscape - First post, critique me?  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Pixeltramp

• View Profile

Cityscape - First post, critique me?

on: December 21, 2012, 07:45:50 pm
Cheated a bit so it's slightly over 8 colors, but what is your opinion of this so far? I'll be adding more base buildings eventually to up the randomness and decrease visual similarities between buildings.

Offline Zero Fruit

• View Profile

Re: Cityscape - First post, critique me?

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:56:16 pm
I like it, it's like a photograph but made of pixels.

The building in the middle is supposed to be rounded, isn't it? It's not all that clear.

Offline Pixeltramp

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:51 pm
Thanks!
The building in the center is the Koin center, which has no round corners anywhere, haha
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/KOINCenterPortland.jpg/250px-KOINCenterPortland.jpg

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:58 pm
Hmm, you have 18 colors but only 3 colors on the sky, I'd say reassess your palette usage and make the sky much more appealing. When you have 18 colors, you shouldn't see dithering like that going on in something like the sky that takes up a majority of the canvas. Make that sky much more smoother and appealing and reevaluate the excessive colors in your buildings. You have some pseudo-noise texture going on but in my opinion it just doesn't need it. The buildings would look absolutely fine with a flat single-color texture. The sky thing also applies to the water.

Offline Zero Fruit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:46 pm
Thanks!
The building in the center is the Koin center, which has no round corners anywhere, haha
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/KOINCenterPortland.jpg/250px-KOINCenterPortland.jpg

In that case, it looks kind of like it's sagging in the middle. I'm not sure what you were trying to go for there.

Offline Pixeltramp

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:41:47 pm
Whoops! That was an older export, apparently. After fixing the random extra colors it's only 9 colors.

Does anyone else agree that the texturing on the buildings is bad? I played around with simplicity on them, and I felt like it worked better with some flavor. As for the sky, I can't decide. A more complex dither ruined the look to me and I didn't want to add grey to it.

As for the 'sagging' do you mean the building in front of it? http://stadlerammon.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/portland-waterfront-2.jpg

Offline Pixeltramp

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:28 pm

Down to 8 colors

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:59:05 pm
Other possible suggestions aside, I think your city could use a bit of a spruce-up in the color department; the sky's gradient is very abrupt, and the blue undertones make these feel more like ruins rather than a bustling, glorious city.  Also, cut down to 7 colors.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:47:43 pm
I would agree with Ashbad on this. I think the piece is overall quite good, but features rather unlucky choice for the palette. I would try to do something with the upper parts of the sky. Maybe the moon subtly casting lights on a section of clouds...

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:09:02 pm
I have a little trouble figuring out the structures in front of the buildings. If they're hills, they're a bit too wave-like.