AuthorTopic: [WIP] Kawaii Mermaid - Platformer  (Read 9524 times)

Offline RotateMe

• View Profile

[WIP] Kawaii Mermaid - Platformer

on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:12 pm
First of all, hi everybody. I've been lurking here for a long time to get insparation and I love the stuff I find here!

I've been working on a game that uses pixel art for a few months now. First of all I want to state that this game is based on a mockup by Setzer (http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/4064.htm) from Pixeljoint.  The screenshot can be found here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/51884.htm. I've asked him for permission to use it as a base for my game and I'm now trying to add some things in the same style since the stuff I can take from this mockup isn't enough to provide for a full game.

Here are three ingame screenshots:

The things I added are the coins, spikes, the corals, which you can climb later on and the dude right from the mermaid on the first screenshot.

Here's his walking animation in which I would be most interested to get some tips on:

Anyway I would like some critique on this stuff and maybe some tips on what I can add to the game. I'm thinking about adding some more colors to the pallette but given how carefully chosen the colors in this wonderful pallette are its too much for me to handle :blind: . Well at least every try in adding some colours failed miserably  :'( .

I also want to add another layer in the background moving at a different pace but I'm not sure about the "how" there either...

If someone's interested I'm going to create a video for people to see how things look like in motion.

Updates:
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1U--rCYAE
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:20:26 pm by RotateMe »

Offline lithander

• View Profile
    • www.pixelpracht.net

Re: [WIP] Kawaii Mermaid - Platformer

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:50 pm
If someone's interested I'm going to create a video for people to see how things look like in motion.

Yes, please!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:21 pm

I changed the portrait to something more human-looking (sorry if I messed with the style) and as far as the enemy sprite goes, if he's going to be black body against black background with only an outline around him, there's going to be some visibility concerns (dependent on what zoom you make this work on) so I suggest making his outline a bit more glowly or something as in the edit. Don't mind my edit's massing up of your gradient darkening, just promotion trying to interpret the palette.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:07 pm
I'm thinking about adding some more colors to the pallette but given how carefully chosen the colors in this wonderful pallette are its too much for me to handle :blind:

I'm not sure how carefully chosen the colors actually were- I didn't choose them. The mockup was done for a challenge where I had to make an underwater mockup with thsoe specific colors.

I'd like to double what helm said about the readability of the dark enemies on dark backgrounds. When I was making the mockup, I made the descision that only moving sprites/important stuff would have any red in them, since it was so vibrant compared to the other colors, to increase readability during gameplay. So another solution might to throw some more red at them (although I would still suggest a brighter outline)- some sort of armor or whatever.

Anyway, its great to see that you're still working on it, and I'm looking forward to seeing more. You've come up with some pretty creative stuff in these screens.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:50:30 pm
This looks quite nice, but I have one crit which I think is not too minor:

The mermaid portrait should face the other way. ATM she is looking OFF screen, away from the action, which is generally not a good thing to do unless you want to use it to get a certain emotion or whatever, but it should not be the standard direction.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline RotateMe

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:15 pm
Wow, I know now why I joined this forum! Thanks for the advice so far, nice to see you here Setzer!

About the red on moving things: I think this was a wise decision and I'm going to do it like this too. Spikes will be in red though too since they are extremely dangerous.

Helm: I like your edit on the guard, I think I'm going to do something similar... didn't think of the problems with dark backgrounds... Allthough I like your portrait I will keep the more JRPG-ish style for now.

ptoing: Oops, yeah this gets done as soon as I hit the Post button  ::)

I tried to set up a video but I lack the right recording software :( any recommendations? The first free thing I could come up with was CamStudio, which seems great but doesn't work well with my setup... anyway, here it is, blurry as hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o1U--rCYAE

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:23:49 pm
re: JRPG

fair enough but keep in mind you might be thinking JRPG portrait but I'm seeing

Might be my artblindness in play, but just saying.

Offline lithander

• View Profile
    • www.pixelpracht.net

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:12 pm
While I like the erratic movement of the fish I think it doesn't suit the spikey ball as well. This thing looks heavy it should take a lot of force to change its course so acceleration and decelleration should be rather small but constant. I think a Sine-Wave would make a good base for it's movement pattern there.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:05 am
This is a terrific project, and I'm impressed with the progress, and the level of charm in the elements and details. It is actually pretty exciting to see people take the superlative mockups that appear here and at PJ and turn them into games (more fun for me in some ways than the 'real' game industry!).

Helm mentioned the portrait of the main character (nice names, by the way, of the game characters). My only complaint would be that it isn't a classically 'attractive' face, being rather long and plain, but the cartoonish style is unique and lovable and fitting to the spirit the game is displaying, so I think a realistic face would be out of place, even if 'prettier'. Plus it gives the game an immediately recognisable stlye. I would like to see a test version of it with a wider face (e.g. eyes further apart) if you didn't mind, which may be the thing that is actually bothering people who don't think it's quite right yet.

You have a 'guy' in your first screenshot, which was obscured and I didn't notice him, but your animation frames actually make a lot of sense, and it's a great character. I immediately thought of a shadow dude, or even more fitting, an oil slick creature. Helm's reflective outline made this image even stronger, and so I would love to see it like this - please keep the black silhouette look if possible. As for having red in them, since they are moving, there may be enough red in their tridents.

I like the video, which really sold the concept for me. What are you programming the game in? TIG forums is a great place for getting questions answered about independent game development, and I'll bet they can help you with your parallax background question (I can hardly wait to see those light shafts shifting independently).

I don't know how WIP your text box and font are, but they look a bit stark to me. The box is very large, and the letters are very thin. I also feel the score numerals are too small - a fuller, more cartoonish style might be more fitting.

I also noticed that the jump is quite staccato, going up and coming down in a quick burst - is this because of Cam Studio's frame rate setting? A slower descent might help suggest that she is underwater, as well as helping with landing accuracy (provided the left/right drift of the jump isn't too high).

I like the coins, and it looks fun to collect great piles of them, but they look spherical, like pearls (because of being underwater, I just assumed they were a marine object :-[), so I was surprised when you called them coins (nicely pixelled and shiny, though!). I didn't quite like that 'plus 1' came out of collecting them, though. Maybe this is because most other games I'm familiar with don't do this? (Sonic, Yoshi, Klonoa GBA, etc.) If all of them give the same amount, a counter isn't necessary, and if some give a higher amount, they could probably be made to look different.

I agree that the spikes are a little swift in their movement. I would suggest an accelerating drop and sudden stop at the bottom of their fall (like the drop of a heavy mace) and then, after a pause, they lift themselves back up (similar to the thwomps in Mario).

Hey, sorry for so much text, but I really like where this is going, and I hope I was helpful in some way - thanks for reading!

Offline RotateMe

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:22:57 pm
Wow, thanks for the answer and the long list of suggestions / constructive criticism! Well...

I would like to see a test version of it with a wider face (e.g. eyes further apart) if you didn't mind, which may be the thing that is actually bothering people who don't think it's quite right yet.

I'm going to work on the portraits after I got some more basic things done. I've started quite a few games (even lenthier projects) and never got finished because I took too much care of details before I started adding actual content (in this case I wanted to do some playable and enjoyable maps ASAP). Also, like I mentioned before, the portrait, too, was done by Setzer and I'm just getting used to pixeling, so a portrait might be some work for me. But I know how important such things are, so I'll get into it.

You have a 'guy' in your first screenshot, which was obscured and I didn't notice him, but your animation frames actually make a lot of sense, and it's a great character. I immediately thought of a shadow dude, or even more fitting, an oil slick creature. Helm's reflective outline made this image even stronger, and so I would love to see it like this - please keep the black silhouette look if possible. As for having red in them, since they are moving, there may be enough red in their tridents.

This is the new version, Helm used some shadings of the violet, I restricted mine to the pallette. I'm still thinking about adding colors to the pallette, namely some greens and some shades of the red and violet. What would be useful would be a tool in which I can modify the pallette of a picture easily and compare the same picture with different pallettes, recommendations anyone? (I guess this is a pretty standard thing to do, but I couldn't figure out how to do it with GraphicsGale which is what I use for now)

I like the video, which really sold the concept for me. What are you programming the game in? TIG forums is a great place for getting questions answered about independent game development, and I'll bet they can help you with your parallax background question (I can hardly wait to see those light shafts shifting independently).

The implementation of the scrolling backgrounds isn't really my problem rather than what to put there. I'm thinking about some tiny and big (shadows of) fishes, coral rifs or sunken ships, maybe all just in one dark color that gets faded against the background, but I don't really know where to start...

I don't know how WIP your text box and font are, but they look a bit stark to me. The box is very large, and the letters are very thin. I also feel the score numerals are too small - a fuller, more cartoonish style might be more fitting.

Hmm to be honest I specifically designed the font for this game to give it a retro-ish look and I like it so far (a few letters and numbers aside). I'm thinking about changing the size of the text-box to contain only two lines but maybe that's not enough for the text to be fluently readable...

I also noticed that the jump is quite staccato, going up and coming down in a quick burst - is this because of Cam Studio's frame rate setting? A slower descent might help suggest that she is underwater, as well as helping with landing accuracy (provided the left/right drift of the jump isn't too high).

It's part the video and part a problem of how the jump and gravity is implemented but that's easily changable. I want the game to be fast, but I've noticed that in tight spots, the jump indeed is too fast. But that's one of the things I want to test on a map that is fun to play for me and some testers, not on the demonstration maps I've done for now.

I didn't quite like that 'plus 1' came out of collecting them, though. Maybe this is because most other games I'm familiar with don't do this? (Sonic, Yoshi, Klonoa GBA, etc.) If all of them give the same amount, a counter isn't necessary, and if some give a higher amount, they could probably be made to look different.

Argh, that's a tough one. The pearls (I'm now gonna call them like that  :hehe:) are a motivational thing. Picking them up should be fun, thus accompanied by a noise that is nice to hear and some eye candy. As you don't like the font I can see how you don't like the +1 (which will be changed to +X when you collect more pearls in a row btw.) but I like both to be honest. I'll wait for some more reactions, but in general I like numbers on screen  ::)

I agree that the spikes are a little swift in their movement. I would suggest an accelerating drop and sudden stop at the bottom of their fall (like the drop of a heavy mace) and then, after a pause, they lift themselves back up (similar to the thwomps in Mario).

I'm going to do this, plus I wanted to add a little screen shaking when they stomp near you. I will need something else that moves like those though since the pause between going up and down is not enough difficulty for every situation. I'm thinking about a rotating star fish.

Hey, sorry for so much text, but I really like where this is going, and I hope I was helpful in some way - thanks for reading!

Absolutely no reason to excuse, I got a LOT of motivation out of this post. Thanks!