AuthorTopic: [WIP] A Warlock  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Someguy1992

• View Profile

[WIP] A Warlock

on: April 13, 2010, 12:23:04 am
Wanted a dark Warlock, kinda Korgoth of Barbaria, but I haven't looked at any age of conan yet (I just remember a little bit of the cartoon on adultswim), so It's probably not even similar.

Anyway, I'm very new to pixel art and want to know what I can do to improve on this piece.
Please note that I haven't finished the cape yet, and I haven't added facial detail. I'm lost at what makes a good pixel face though. The cape on the other hand is just out of laziness (The cape you can see is finished, but I haven't added a cape behind the character yet).

I'm not the best drawer either, and made the outline using mouse and pencil tool, so any suggestions here are welcomed too. Thanks.

I looked at this picture for the neck thing: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17131.htm# ...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:42:03 am by Someguy1992 »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [WIP] A Warlock

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:13:25 am
You're seriously challenging yourself for a first try, people and cloth being the hardest things to draw. And in isometrics too.  :y:

You should definitely start by practicing with a basic nude figure first, and add clothes later.
And you should definitely start by sketching people on paper, from both life and photos, in a lot of poses, and start pixelling afterwards.
The point is not (yet) to make good drawings, just to teach your eye and hand how people actually look.

Offline Someguy1992

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] A Warlock

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 02:41:36 am
Thanks for the response; finally got one. Anyway, I have drawn for off and on for a few years in pencil ( Was only serious about drawing for about half a year though). I still suck at drawing, but I do know how people move more then nothing. I did make a outline, then shaded it in, so I did make a practice dummy thing first.
This is probably my 5th try or so at pixel, but I still consider that "very new."

Anyway, thanks for the response. I decided to do something a bit different after all though, so I've stopped working on this piece.
Also forgot to do the aa and dithering on this.