AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Character  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

[WIP] RPG Character

on: July 12, 2010, 03:57:39 pm
I had to make a base according to this http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_systems/prinny/sheet/23106. This Is my base. Please tellme what I am doing wrong, because I know I am doing Something wrong.h I had to make a doll on that base for a character so, here This is the ref and the character is here . Please Critique!
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline Fulbert

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Character

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:32:45 pm
The silhouette's head looks sort of asymmetric. That bulge to the right is suposed to be a ear, but it looks like... I dunno, something unhealthy.

How about this version?

Sorry about lack of shading
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:39:55 pm by Fulbert »

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:47 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to fix the ear and body parts according to your edit  ;) but what about the character?

Offline Fulbert

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:54:31 pm
The character itself is okay, I think. The sprite face looks skewed, but that can be fixed with the new base. I'd suggest that you stayed true to the reference picture. The girl's outfit looks interesting with those glasses and gauntlets and braces. Try to represent that in the sprite.

Offline berserkx33

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:09 pm
Here is my take on your model, to be honest, i loved that cartoon style, and think that if you only could make the head verticaly oval instead of horizontaly ovel, it would be perfect. I made this version, the left is directly made over your model, and the right is one i altered based in the opinion of by little brother, as you can see, it is a very light alteration.

Here are some tips:

- Ever walk with a pallete on your side.
- Depending on the number of shade per color you chose, the shading may change, but never use the dark outline and light filling, it look bad.
- To make your pallete, take from other sprites from other games or even from the image, creating your own color is an useless effort and will simply look bad (I know that because i tryed it for a long time before, and it always looked like plastic)
- Try looking at sprites that have the shading you are trying to use, or even paste one sample in the side of the the sprite you are making, this way reference is a lot easier.
- Try out differet depts in shading, this sprite is only a sample, if you fill like it, create various paletes and recollor, to see wish effect look better.
WTF! My bright colors took over all the pallet! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hate you 16 colors limitation!

Please visit my GALLERY for more of my works!!!
http://img14.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=tamagotchit.jpg

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:19:54 pm
 Thanks for the advice! That really helped. Making my own palettes could be a disaster! And I Will Try to edit the head.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:07 pm
creating your own color is an useless effort and will simply look bad

No, really, only relying on snatching colors from other sprites will forever leave you uneducated and you will get zero consistency between your different pixeled elements, or, if not, that's because you have some kind of talent for working with colors, in which case you are fully capable of creating your own pallette.

Point: Either live with having colored elements that don't work with each other well, or practise with making your own pallette. It's not that hard, you know. Or, well, it is challenging, but if there's anywhere you want to start experimenting with colors, it's in pixel art.
' _ '

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:47:06 pm
berserkx33, sorry to contradict your critique but seeing how Sleepless seems to have taken it to heart I feel - as Jad did also - a strong reflex to say that what you suggest may be what you practice yourself currently but it's awful to suggest that others also do the same. Don't give up, learn color and make your own palettes for your own art.

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:32 pm
Yes, I've been trying to make my own palettes that I can reuse, but they are failing.. beserkx33 you shouldd use hueshifting maybe thats your problem

Offline berserkx33

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:26:30 pm
Sorry, but it is because of the idea of making a pallete from scratch requires to much knowledge in the way colors work and the rgb atributes, and studying the colors you use are a good way to learn how to make your palletes, i ever have some standard for colors, i don't said "go geting colors anywere", but if it sounded like this i apologise.
WTF! My bright colors took over all the pallet! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hate you 16 colors limitation!

Please visit my GALLERY for more of my works!!!
http://img14.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=tamagotchit.jpg