AuthorTopic: Reality Check: My ISO Collab tiles =(  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reality Check: My ISO Collab tiles =(

on: November 14, 2008, 02:42:49 am
PLEASE...answer to this....dont need a treaty, just tell me roughly how clear my tiles are...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/talbot/ISO4-layout.gif
The basic plot is this:
The aliens want to turn everything into a black goop, they do that by pouring the green goop on things. The serpents/lizard monsters are made of lava so they fight off the invaders.

I have two spots here, one spot is below the UFO

The UFO in the topmost tile(22) is pouring out his alien ooze, which in my tile(23) goes over some rocks and creates some sort of alien eggs. That part was supposedly done...but I tweaked it to look better...after I realized this version looked better than my "final" one...hope Ptoing will let that pass *shrug*

On the second spot which is tiles 30 and 58 :
-make the birthplace for the snake at the exact spot where the ooze and the lava touch
-show how angular rocks turn into the black goop of tile 63
-have the snake dive in and out of the mountain killing a few aliens, then go back in a final time so it comes out at tile
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:46:58 am by Conceit »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Reality Check: My ISO Collab tiles =(

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:20:49 am
Give me a few minutes and I'll have an edit or two up tonight.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:21:43 am
say w00t

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:50:09 am
*Slaps self in face, make sure you re-read the whole thing again before editing*

Okay, not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, but this is what I have anyways. I thought the tiles below yours were yours as well, since they were part of the scene, but it might help you anyway. And, aren't you allowed to break the grid a little if done well right? Right? (Maybe the other guy won't kill me for editing his tiles.) Okay, moving on.

I've divided the edit parts into alphabetical and numerical sections for easy explanations. So. First on the list, section 1a. Added a bit more of a shadow to the ooze crater and the alien pool to make them stand out a bit more. The red bits in the crater is where a lava pool had once been. I'm sure you can make the transition smoother. Perhaps smoke coming out of it? Next I added a third trail going down from the crater to the south-east(?) part of your tile to were the gray piece of shrapnel is. Then I have it dripping down and merging with the lava flow at the bottom of the part. This was mainly to show how the green bubble got there, and how the two fluids merged with each other using subtle shades. (Which, is section 2 btw.) Also, a minor note. The rock at 1b didn't seem just right. So I kind of "finished" the shading on the bottom.

Now the glaring part of this piece. I think I know what your trying to do with Section 3, but either don't want too, or ran out of "time". So, here's my take on it. When Dusty said he didn't know what was going on with your piece, he was right. If that's supposed to be a crash site in the side of the mountain, well. Where's the debris, shrapnel, burn marks, smoke, jagged rock pieces that make a crash site what they are? So, I thought, okay, maybe not a crash site, but a crash into an already existing cave. Specifically, the snakes cave. Which would explain why he's so ticked off.

So, in order to create the feeling of a cave opening. I moved what I assume to be the main debris over a little. Then I took a section of your overlap at the south corner and used that as an overhang. Then I added two shadows underneath to give it a bit of depth. (Maybe a bit much.) Finally, I gave the overhang some light shadow on the top to kind of give a merging of the two tiles. Oh, and if your wondering if it looks a bit odd or out of place. It's cause I copied the cave opening with the ooze coming out of it to use as a base. All right, on to section B.

I was worried that I had edited the wrong tiles, but I guess not. Phew. All right, I was unsure of how you wanted the ooze to merge with the black, but I thought the area needed some more work. Like I did in section 2a, I merged the ooze with the rock a bit more to give it some more character. I also thought that would give the idea of a merger that you want to try and get across. I gave the stream of ooze two colors. Just so that it matches the contrast of the surrounding rocks. Also, is that grayish shrapnel piece supposed to be your snakes origin spot? I thought the hole was a bit small. So in section 2, I moved the shrapnel up. Then took a surrounding rock piece and put it as place holder. Then made the hole a bit wider so as to make sense. That's the only things I see there mainly. Now, on to the fun part.

I reserved section C to show what you could do with the snake. The blue circles are entry and exit points. I think it'd be a bit fun to have him going behind the mountain a bit. He does have a nice selection of busted ufos on him. Maybe you can add more or less depending on your preference. Since he was in the path, I also have him killing the black cloud creature.

I love pixel art, and good pixel art at that. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted or not. And I hope I can take a critique (if this isn't a nitpick) like this when I get this good. I hope I helped you a bit and can't wait to see the finished piece. (However, if you want, you could call it finished as is. I just pointed out some spots that I thought what you thought needed fixing.)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:10:40 pm
 ;D this is what makes pixelation what it is. Thank you for your reply.

I see you put a lot of effort into this...I feel guilty, because I didnt specify my tiles too well...and you did indeed edit a bunch of tiles that arent mine...not just the edges, right in the middle of them.

I did post a url link to a layout of the collab....so you could see which tiles are mine..they are marked in magenta =/

1a isnt mine, 1b isnt mine...and the actual snake biting on the UFO (I think you call it C ?) isnt mine either. I dont see a 3 anywhere...so I dont know which one's section 3. I actually havent put the snake in any of my tiles...yet!

The snake doesnt live in a cave, it is lava taking from after being hit with the green ooze.....it's like the lava's revenge personified :p..that's why it's BORN from the mixture of the two.

I guess I was half asuming whoever checked this would've been following the collab for a while, and had seen my previous versions of tile 23.
I'm basically trying to draw this only with much much more space...
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6247.msg75008#msg75008 Here's a link to the original post if you want a blast to the past :p

The main thing I get from your edit...is that my green ooze isnt clear. You think it's sharpnel XD. on BOTH instances. I like the way you made the snake go all over the place....the specifical way in which you made it draw big arcs is not something I would've thought of...looks nice! I'm gonna try to use that...

By the time you posted this...I had gone to bed and I had made further progress without posting here..again I apologize.

I'm a go and make that green ooze look less like sharpnel now XD
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:19:46 pm by Conceit »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 07:26:39 pm
Wow, I completely botched that one.

Actually, tile 23 is...section 3. I guess I misread the story a tad. (I had followed it a bit, from page 13.) At least you got the fact that some of the stuff that a few of your tile parts aren't very readable. Which, is probably all I should have said. However, the top of your tile still needs an overhang sort of. Which, is why I circled it as section 3. (Shoulda made that 3 more readable.) Oh, and about the snake, it sounded like you wanted it to coil around and about the mountain fighting off an invasion. So that's what I did. If you want a reference, just google "coiled snake" or "snake" and check the image tab.

And no need to feel guilty, I was a tad bored.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:19:32 pm
Update O_o I thought if I made the rock split into two and pour some liquid(yet to be drawn)...things would be clearer.

I also brushed in with white the posible path of the snake O_o
I edited the "black cloud" a little bit, hopefully that makes it clearer what it's supposed to be...STILL WIP

Again, dont need a big old reply. a good old "lol, dude that looks like a scrotum" would do.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:21:40 pm by Conceit »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:07:27 pm
I take it this is about my post in the iso collab thread? Heh, didn't mean to get you all worked up or anything! It was mainly directed at the cave tile you made.

I couldn't tell exactly what was going on, but it was still very appealing. It looks like a cave with sewage or such coming out, but everytime I say that I feel the need to put a question mark behind it. While the overall picture seems like I can make sense of it, it's the fine details in the piece that seem to really be a blur. Sadly though I can't really think of any advice on fixing that.

The other pieces look great though.